Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP upgrade and bad motherboard- yikes!

• Please log in to reply

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

I see - this is way to make sure it doesn't try to boot to the HD the first time, thereby screwing everything up. Am I correct?

That's exactly right !

To do your method can I simply leave the connector going to the slave (DVD) unhooked and then connect it when I connect the HD?

You could, but there's no point in disconnecting it at any time. You just need to have the hard drive disconnected to avoid an unintentional boot attempt there.

BTW - After I select "Save & Exit" in the BIOS settings will I be prompted to reboot? You said to turn off the system after the install program tells me it can't find a HD. Do you mean shut it down forcefully, i.e. basically pull the plug?

You won't actually need to pull the plug out. Just push in the power buuton and hold it in for about 5 seconds. This should shut the system down completely.

UPDATE - I just read that if I do leave the DVD drive disconnected during the first step, I need to connect the CD-ROM to the connector on the end of the IDE cable. Does that sound right?

Yes, that's right - there should always be a drive connected at the end of an IDE cable. But you don't need to disconnect either of your optical drives, so that's a moot point. Also, since you have 2 optical drives load the XP disk in whichever is the Master drive (CD-ROM).

BTW, this whole procedure is rather complicated and is done only under very special circumstances. If you wre simply installing XP from scratch you wouldn't have to disconnect any drives at all.

Advertisements

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thanks WinCrazy - I'm going to try and keep this post alive because I'm sure I'll have another question or two before I install the new MB/CPU.

I don't know why I'm afraid of this since I installed the old MB, CPU, PSU, & HD. It's worked well for several years. That HD (my current one) got its contents (incl. OS) from a Ghost disc image of a smaller drive. I didn't think that was going to work, either!

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
OK - I thought of my first "extra" question. I've got a 3-pin connector coming from my Antec PSU that is attached to the "auxiliary fan header" on the dead Iwill MB (3 pins in a row). There's nothing connected to the "System Fan" header. In the manual for the new MB under "Power Connector" it shows the main PSU connector and another one that has 4 pins arranged in a square. Is this a problem - a connector from the PSU with nowhere to go?

Is my PSU (400W Antec PP-403X) old enough that the connector's outdated? I don't have a manual for the PSU to tell where the 3-pin is "supposed" to go!

Thanks for any help...

Edited by drmull, 20 May 2006 - 10:48 PM.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
The 3-pin cable coming from the power supply is so the motherboard can monitor the speed of the fan inside the supply. If you have a extra (auxiliary) mating header on the motherboard then you may as well plug the cable in there. Motherboards have these extra fan headers just for the purpose of powering and/or monitoring extra case fans - or monitoring a power supply fan.

The larger square 4-pin connector cable coming from the power supply is for motherboards that require more power than the main power cable (20-pin ?) can supply. If your motherboard doesn't have a mating connector on it then it doesn't need the extra power that that cable can provide. Newer power supplies tend to have several power cables that many boards may not need.

I don't think your power supply is outdated at all. Your motherboard is getting all the power it needs from the power supply.

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thanks WinCrazy - I don't have an "aux" fan header on the new MB as far as I can tell. It does have a 3-pin System Fan header. Should I attach the cable there if it will reach? I didn't have anything attached to that header on the old MB. I'm still wondering if it's OK to leave the cable from the PSU dangling or does it HAVE to be attached?

Edited by drmull, 21 May 2006 - 09:07 AM.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Sure, it's there for any extra fans. You should then be able to read the fan's speed in the BIOS and programs like SpeedFan.

The majority of power supllies don't have a fan speed monitoring cable, so if in the future you want to add a case fan to your system then you can use this header to power the fan.

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
To WinCrazy & gerryf:

SUCCESS...well, mostly. The repair install worked with a hitch or two, but I'm up & running with all my apps. The main concern is this:

There was a problem with "MSOE.DLL" so Outlook Express won't open (I can't even find it). I'm guessing something happened related to this being an upgrade originally. Do all my contacts and emails still exist and the missing DLL file simply means the app can't run??

Is there an easy fix? I'm reading this MSoft page and wondering if this exact fix applies to my problem.

MSOE.DLL error

Also, I have no sound right now - I guess I need to configure that.

Now I have to reinstall SP2. Is that downloadable??

Again, thanks for all your help and I hope you know the answers for this stuff!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
glad to hear it worked for the most part--and like I said, this is about a 50-50 chance of success when you switch the motherboad so it's great to see you are on the right side of that.

Your email and stuff should still be there, but you need to reinstall outlook express, it sounds like

Start > run
regedit
<enter>

navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

Look for the dword in the right column called
IsInstalled
double click and change the value from 1 to 0

Close the registry editor

go here and get ie6setup

http://www.microsoft...p1/default.mspx

run it to reinstall outlook express

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you can visit windows update for sp2, or download the entire thing here:

http://www.microsoft...45-9e368d3cdb5a

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thanks, gerry!! I'll start working on it right now.

The no sound issue was strictly driver related.

The most interesting thing during the process was the fact that my Nvidia Geforce 6600GT AGP card needs an additional power plug to run well on the new MB. It wasn't required on the old Iwill. Hmmm...

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you probably should have been using the additional power plug even then...I've installed a few systems with that card and I'm surprised your former board was able to supply enough wattage for it.

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hey guys - just wanted to close this out and let you know I'm completely finished. SP2 installed and all updates. My wife can't believe it!

As a closing question, is it too early to be messing with IE7 Beta? I love the tabbed browser thing (ala Firefox).

Your help and support has been invaluable.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
great---ie7 is actually fine at this point--once they go consumer preview, they are pretty confident in it.

Still, I always wait for the first update past the final, non beta release for any software on my work machine