Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How Do I Copy A Webpage For Future Viewing?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
I have a topic I started on a webpage forum & I want to save it on my hard drive for future viewing. Meaning I want to be able to save it so I can view it, burn it on cd-r, or see it on someone elses pc, even if they don't have internet. The reason I mention the internet is because there are pictures in the forum as well. It's a long bloody thread I started and I want to save it so I can read it in the future if I need references from it. I dunno maybe I can save it to word? PDF? Or something? What is the best way? Is there a better way?

I tried copying an entire page and saving it to microsoft word, but when I save the document and open it up, the pictures load slowly. Almost as if there being loaded off the net.

Please tell me which application and way it should be copied/saved.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
What has happened here is that when you saved the webpage the links on the html page are for the page on the internet, not on your computer. I do not know if you know how to make webpages but you can use notepad or a html editor to change the links to look to where you have the pictures in your computer. I will explain this if needed but it will be a long explanation. You do not have to use word to save the page. IE, firefox and all the rest of the browsers will save the complete webpage. In my firefox it is under File/Save Page As.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 18 May 2006 - 03:33 AM.

Digidave

Digidave

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
When I want to save a web page for later viewing, this is what I do. First, I have PrimoPDF on my computer. What this does is embeds itself as a second printer. So then i can go to File>Print, then I have the choice of printing to my regular printer or creating a PDF file by printing with PrimoPDF. Now, if the forum thread has more than 1 page you'll have to do this with every page. This may not be exactly what you want, but it works.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

To save a webpage on your computer

In Internet Explorer, on the File menu, click Save As.
Navigate to the folder you want to save the page in.
In the File name box, type a name for the page.
In the Save as type box, do one of the following:
To save all of the files needed to display this page, including graphics, frames, and style sheets, select Webpage, complete. This option saves each file in its original format.
To save all of the information needed to display this page in a single file, click Web Archive, single file. This option saves a snapshot of the current webpage. This option is available only if you have installed Outlook Express 5 or later.
To save just the current HTML page, click Webpage, HTML only. This option saves the information on the webpage, but it does not save the graphics, sounds, or other files.
To save just the text from the current webpage, click Text File. This option saves the information on the webpage in text format.
Notes

With Webpage, complete and Web Archive, single file, you can view all of the webpage offline, without adding the page to your Favorites list or marking it for offline viewing.
When you choose Webpage, complete, only the current page is saved. To learn how to make both the webpage and the pages it links to available while offline, click Related Topics.

always check the help files

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
I use "SnagIt v8.2.2" now and it copys entire scrolled pages to pdf format!!!