Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM

• Please log in to reply

UnitedFortune32

UnitedFortune32

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: Hey whats up everyone???? Ok, I've got an unbearably easy question...but it's not so easy for me. I recently recieved a program that asks for more RAM than I currently have set. I opened msconfig, and under the advanced section I upped it to 512 mb for memory, (which was required for my program), and it didn't work. I would like to know if I am doing this right, and or how to do it right. Thanks.

Advertisements

Kye

Kye

• Pip
  • 4 posts
You have to buy RAM, its hardware. You cant increase RAM that you dont have.

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi there ;)

RAM stands for Random Access Memory - like you needed to know that!

Check out this web site - if you're in the u.k.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/

These are the cheapest vendors of RAM I know, and there web site is brill :)

RAM comes in many different flavours, you must get the right kind for your computer.

They have a wizard to walk you through selecting and ordering the right RAM - you'll need to be using Internet Explorer as it uses an ActiveX control.

The wizard will tell you how many slots you have on your motherboard and what the maximum amount of RAM is you can fit.

If you're looking to upgrade to 512MB that may cost a wee bit, depending on what you've got currently - but will be cheaper than buying a new PC

Check it out :tazz:

If you've never fitted RAM before, you'd be advised to find someone who has, or find yourself a good online resourse - with pics, showing you how to do it.

Basic precautions - buy the right RAM, fit it the right way in the slots, fill up slot 1 first, then slot 2, then slot 3 (if relevant), and start with the largest RAM module in slot 1 eg. 256MB in slot 1, 128MB in slots 2 and 3

Don't rub your feet on a nylon carpet and then touch your chips on your motherboard ;)

Discharge any static electricity you may have (even the smallest amount can fry a chip) by touching the metal chassis of your PC before doing anything. Avoid touching the copper contacts of your RAM modules.

Sometimes, the BIOS setting may need to be changed, depending on your current RAM configuration and how you're changing it.

Nothing in computing is ever easy or necessarily straightforward.

Good luck

daveB - LinuxWannabee :)