Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Finding" Cryptographical Services

• Please log in to reply

grc

grc

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
[Quote]Click start then run, type services.msc and press enter, double click the service you need, set the start up type to automatic, start the service, click set / apply, reboot

Open my documents, click tools, folder options, put the dot in show hidden files, click apply[Quote]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keith, this is just the problem, "Cryptographic Services" is not in my list of services (Windows 2000) when I follow the procedure described above (my list is alphabetic, and I have looked through it four times now).

There must be another way of figuring this out (getting my cryptogragh. service recognized/running).

Thanks in advance for any help.

G

PS - as an aside, or pehaps there is some relation, I am informed by the Download Accelerator Plus 8 program I recently tried out, that my configuration is for "dial-up"(and therefore can not take advantage of Accelerated Download Speed programming), which is not true - I have DSL.

Edited by grc, 18 May 2006 - 06:35 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you find it same place / protected storage?

grc

grc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Can you find it same place / protected storage?

Ok - please bear with me, this is uncharted territory in my experience.

I do see "Protected Storage" in the list. Am I to double-click it? Right-click? Look in its Properties? When I get there, there are 4 tabs; "General", "Log On", "Recovery", and "Dependencies" ... am I to go under one of these tabs and look for something else? Change something somewhere? Could you elaborate? I am thinking I need to be careful about what I type in this thread with you as I may divulge (BROADCAST) secure info., unwittingly (?).

Thx - G ...

Edited by grc, 18 May 2006 - 07:52 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have a look at dependencies

grc

grc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Have a look at dependencies

Great -

(***!!!WOULD YOU PLEASE ERASE/DELETE OR OTHERWISE PROTECT THIS POST IF I UNKNOWINGLY REVEAL SENSITIVE OR POTENTIALLY SENSITIVE INFO. - SOMETHING THAT COULD COMPROMISE MY SECURITY TO A HI-JACK OR HACK!!!*** - Thank You)

Under "Dependencies" the first box, marked; "Protected Storage depends on these services" lists

"Remote Procedure Call (RPC)"

second box marked; "These Services depend on Protected Storage"

"Wireless Configuration"
(which seems odd to me in that I have no wireless device connected to or with this PC).

G

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You're fine because you are only listing services and programmes, not adding any personal info, have a look at remote procedure call and check it is set to automatic start up, double click it, click start up type, set it, start it, click apply

grc

grc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

You're fine because you are only listing services and programmes, not adding any personal info, have a look at remote procedure call and check it is set to automatic start up, double click it, click start up type, set it, start it, click apply

Well, all I've succeeded in doing now is making the little 'plus-sign-in-a-box', to the left of the description (WAS to the left of "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" AND in the other box "Wireless Configuration") disappear.

Can any help please?

grc

grc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well I have also found "Protected Storage" under the "Services" tab of my WinPatrol program. It's Startup designation is; "automatic", and its Staus is; "runnning".

I don't know if this means anything or not?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What are you trying to run when you get the error

grc

grc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Ahhhhhhh - it was when I was trying to download IE 7 beta (I keep IE in case of Firefox problem[s]) - and, I now know that I cannot get it because I am running Win2K (not XP) - THAT (!) could be why I am getting the message ... right?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Definitely, have you got any files for IE7 or did it not run

grc

grc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Definitely, have you got any files for IE7 or did it not run

It ran, I have files.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then search, include hidden and system files, look for IE7 how many files are listed

Have you been into the programme files folder before?

grc

grc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Click start then search, include hidden and system files, look for IE7 how many files are listed

Have you been into the programme files folder before?

Ok - now this may sound like a stupid question, but instead of leaving anything to chance, I will need specifics - Once I go Start >Search >, do I simply type "hidden and system files", and, do I type it into the box that says; "Search for files and folders named"(?), or the box that says "Containing text"? Once there (I have done this several times already), am I counting (per your question of "how many") each and every icon that appears to have anything to do with IE7? And if so, do I then "open", "explore", go into "properties" - or am I getting ahead of myself here?

Thanks, G

And oh, is your last question in regard to IE7(?) - if so, then no, I do not believe I have been "into" that program file folder., in fact, I am sure of it.

Edited by grc, 19 May 2006 - 07:35 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then search, use advanced options to include hidden and system files

[attachment=8499:attachment]

Click start then my computer, double click the local disc C, double click programme files, double click the Internet Explorer Folder, if it IE7 you should see these

[attachment=8500:attachment]

If you haven't double clicked C etc you will get a warning message, click show contents / files