Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor turning off and on for minutes after startup

• Please log in to reply

CleaPet

CleaPet

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi, I have a Hyundai L90D+ LCD Monitor that is one year old. Recently it has started to act up: it turns off and on randomly for five to ten minutes after startup. I'm running it on the digital connection as opposed to the analog but I've been doing that for almost the entire time I've had it. I'm at a loss to determine if this is a hardware problem and if I need to get the monitor fixed as opposed to some graphics software issue. I've contacted Hyundai customer service but I have no idea how long that will take. What information do you need from me in order to help me diagnose the issue?

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
You must first make sure that the video cable ends are pushed all the way into the computer and monitor connectors.

Do you also have a VGA cable ? You might want to try that out to see if there is any change. You might have to use the monitor's on-screen controls to select getting input from the VGA port/cable before you swap cables.

It is also possible that the video adapter in the computer is flaky. Can you try using the monitor attached to another "known good" working computer ? This would certainly tell you whether or not the monitor is faulty.

CleaPet

CleaPet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I switched the monitor to another computer but that one didn't have a DivX hookup; the analog hookup worked fine, though. Then I brought the monitor back to my computer and the analog connection also worked fine. Tried the DivX hookup and I get the turning off and on thing again. So does this mean I either have a bad DivX cable or the graphics card connection is going bad? I guess I need to take it into a shop where they can test both, huh?

Thanks very much for responding, you were very helpful.

Also of note: The shutting off and on thing was really bad, like 10 times in a row, but then I disabled the Adobe Acrobat Updater and the Adobe Photoshop Gamma from the startup menu and it only turns off and on for two or three times now. Except not now because I'm using the analog connection, which isn't nearly as bright as I like it to be. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol, divX is a video codec, i think you might mean DVI, does the VGA cable work on that PC(you can use a DVI-VGA converter if you have a DVI only gfx card they usually comes with the gfx card or the monitor). That way you can test the gfx or the cable, post your specs as well.

Analog and digital on that particular monitor will give no difference at all, brightness is a seperate setting you can just go and turn it up in the monitor options the VGA hasnt anything to do with it, on most modern LCDs like that the analog modem is advanced enough to be as good image quality wise as the DVI.

CleaPet

CleaPet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yeah, I meant DVI, lol. The graphics card does both, it's a GeForce FX 5200 with the DVI hookup thingy. I know because I had to switch it out at the place that built my computer; for some reason a whole batch of cards advertised as DVI compatible didn't come equipped for it and they didn't catch it. Anyhoo, the monitor came with the DVI cable and the VGA cable, and the VGA cable is working fine. So maybe it's not my graphics card? Thanks for pointing that out.

I don't know what's going on with the brightness: it seems dimmer to me but I guess it's my imagination. I recently changed my desktop colors so maybe I'm still adjusting to that. :whistling:

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Its good that your VGA mode is working reliably. It's still not known whether its the DVI output from the video card that's flakey or the DVI input on the monitor. Its now a moot point. As Warriorscot indicated, there won't be much quality difference between VGA and DVI.