Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Fails to boot (sometimes!)

• Please log in to reply

tesfurdo

tesfurdo

• Pip
  • 9 posts
OK, my PC specs are AMD 64 3000+, 1 GB RAM (2 X 512), K8V SE deluxe mobo, 80gb Western dig HD, Saphire x800 pro Gcard and a new Hiper Type R Modular PSU 580W SLI ready (loads of detial coz i think it mite be the problem!)

I've just today installed a new PSU (the one mentioned above) I used to have an antec 450W PSU. Since i have installed the new PSU my PC has been behaving rather strange!!! When i first booted up with the PSU all the lights came on, my 4 fans spun but there was no beep from the PC and my screen didnt display anything. I tried booting a few more times but the same thing happened.

I thought my graphics card or monitor was playing up but after a bit of playing it started to work (by playing i mean that i swaped the power cable for my peripheral devices (fans) and my graphics card around and removed a couple of lights i had and also fiddled with the monitors connection to the graphics card) I thought that i may have been drawing a bit too much power from the PSU but it has a higher power output?

I played a few games, turned my PC off and went to the shops, switched it on when i returned about an hour later and it did the same thing again. I switched it off. Turned my monitors off and then on again and then booted. It started fine! went on the net a bit and turned it off. When i switched it on again it kept trying to go to windows but rebooted every time! Now after turning the PSU off by the switch at the back and then back on again it seems to work normally!

If any of u guys can make any sence of my garbled mess post i'd really appreciate it! If you need me to be a little more accurate i'm going to make a written log of everything i do exactly!

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Tesfurdo

PS My PC works fine once its switched on - no problems there - i'm just a little worried that there is a serious problem somewhere!

Advertisements

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Based on what you said, it sounds like you have a bad PSU. If you still have the old PSU, you should try putting that back in and seeing if your problems persist. If they go away, then you've got a bad PSU.

tesfurdo

tesfurdo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey, thanks for the reply fructose!

I thought the same myself. I have however had another theory! I have built 3 systems using the same mobo and chassis but 3 diff power supplies, one of the PCs has a random problem, where by if u push the power button all the way in when you boot it up, the PC starts and then a few seconds later it shuts down!

With my PC it was booting up but not displaying anything, like it was in sleep mode or something(perhaps this is a safeguard with this PSU where by it wont let you boot up and boot down really quickly - which is what happens to the PC i mention above)! Do you think there is any chance that it could be the PSU which is actually spotting the problem with the power button? I know that this line of cases has had the design changed since i purchased it nearly 2 yeasr ago- guess which part was the only part they replaced.... thats right, the power button!!!

I've just tried something out When i press the button part of the way in - but not all the way in - the PC seems to boot fine (I'll have to test this a few more times to verify) The previous times i've pushed it all the way in - it doesnt boot properly!

If this sounds completly implausable to anyone please say, but too me it sounds like a sound theory - what with the power buttons having been replaced on this cases design and me haveing built a PC with the same model case before that had problems with the power button.

cheers

tesfurdo

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
It could be a bad switch that will stuck when you press it in all the way. If you have a reset button on the computer, you can try switching the leads so the reset button becomes the power button and see if the same thing happens. You can also start the computer without a switch, but it requires shorting the power pins with something like a screwdriver, and if you don't know what you are doing you could damage your MB.

I wouldn't say the PSU is 'finding' the problem so much as responding correctly when it thinks the power button is being held in. If you can use a different way to turn on the computer then we could see if the switch was the problem.

tesfurdo

tesfurdo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Im going to enable my keyboard on function now, the problem of it not booting at all tho has stopped (for the timebeing at least)

The problem that i first had when i built my comp almost 2 years ago has reared its ugly head again! When i boot up the PC it usually gets to the first windows load screen, the one with the blue scroll bar (like a loading bar) appears, then the PC reboots itself! After it reboots itself it does the same thing over and over again but gets less far through the boot up each time! eventually my PC ends up rebooting every second! leaving it off for a bit after this happens (usually less than a minute) and then turning it on seems to work.

Like i said this happened a few times when i first built it, but since then hasnt been prominent (only happened 2 or 3 times in 2 years) until now!!!

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
That sounds like a hardware issue to me. If it was a OS problem, then you would get to the same point every time before it reboots. And turning it off for a while wouldn't change that. If the keyboard on option works, try unplugging your power and reset switches from the MB and see if it happens again. If it does I'd say your switches are bad, and you'll need a new case. (Or just new switches if you know how to replace them.)

tesfurdo

tesfurdo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
By the way, i really appreciate all ur help so cheers! :whistling:

It just did the thing where it fails to boot again! One thing i didnt notice this time is that the power light which indicates the PC is on is flashing while in this none boot mode! does this mean it is actually in stand by? pressing the power switch seems to have no effect unless i hold it for 5-7 seconds and it powers down!

Like i said it just did it again, i powered off after waiting to see if it did anything different and then booted again. Its working fine again now!

It only seems to happen when the PC has been switched off for some time! (it had been off for 20 mins then)