Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD-Drive wont work

• Please log in to reply

Mike-pxndx

Mike-pxndx

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
My dvd-reive is not working, i cant play any music cd on my pc.
:whistling: i dont know wats happening.. when i try to play it on widnows media player says that there is no cd in drive. When i try playing the cd any othere ways says that the cd might be corrupted or not compatible with windows :blink:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
does it work in another PC? Maybe the disc is corrupted, scratched, warped?

Mike-pxndx

Mike-pxndx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
it works on another pc.. the disc is brand new.. i bought it 2 days ago.. and i jus opened it and i tried to play it on my pc, then i tried other cds and tey wont work either :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

any thing wiht a yellow !?

Right click your dvd drive, choose unisntall, reboot. Windows will redect and reinstall

Mike-pxndx

Mike-pxndx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
ok thanx a lot.. i'll try it.

Mike-pxndx

Mike-pxndx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
:blink: darn... it did not work. there wasn't anything yellow i think i wana cry :whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did the drive ever work..?...the reason I ask is if you bought a CD from sony ..they put a rootkit on your computer and if you try to remove it or make more copies then your allowed...it will disable your CD?DVD drive

Mike-pxndx

Mike-pxndx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
yes it use to work and its not from sony, it from toshiba; TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2152 (i hope this helps).

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I was talking about music CDs that you buy...some of the Sony music CDs had rootkits that installed when you rip the music to your computer.....try going to TOSHIBA and get the drivers for your DVD drive..download them to your desktop..then go back to device manager and uninstall the drivers..the reinstall the new drivers you downloaded

Edited by happyrck, 18 May 2006 - 06:45 PM.

Mike-pxndx

Mike-pxndx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
oh.. all right, the cd im trying to play is not from sony, well i tried with diferent cds

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'm not making myself clear..if sometime in the past..months ago you bought a Sony or BMG music CD and ripped it to your system or when you went to play it even ..it would say something like you need to install something and if you clicked yes...it would then install a rootkit that hides itself so it takes a special tool to even detect it...much less remove it.....it could "break" your CD/DVD drive and at the same time make your system open to other malware that took advantage of the rootkits ability to hide from anti malware tools

Edited by happyrck, 18 May 2006 - 07:28 PM.

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Go to www.winamp.com download the free player and try to play the CD with it.

Mike-pxndx

Mike-pxndx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
i got winamp and WMP... wont work anyways, the problem is with the driver or something not with the application i use to play the cd

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you looked at the DVD drive manufactures site for drivers or firmware updates ?

Edited by happyrck, 18 May 2006 - 07:31 PM.

Mike-pxndx

Mike-pxndx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
im taking a look about it, there might be an update or something maybe that can fix et :whistling: