Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer/Dr. Watson postmortem debugger errors

• Please log in to reply

felidave

felidave

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello: I am re-opening this inquiry as I have , again, experienced the same problem. I had posted a similar inquiry a few weeks ago.

Again, I am using my work computer because I can't open any programs on my PC.

Please help!!!

I am getting the following messages when i first login to Windows Xp.

"Windows Explorer has experienced a problem and needs to close"

Then , when it asks me if I want to send the error to Microsoft, I click on "Don't Send" the following message comes up

"Dr. Watson posmortem debugger has experienced a problem and needs to close"

Again, I click on the "Don't Send" option, but now the computer freezes and I cannot open any program whatsoever.

When I try to click on any program to open it, the dreaded Dr. Watson debugger error message pops up again.

I can pull up my task manager by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL. I even tried to type explorer.exe to look for the regedt32.exe icon to fix the "file association" ( i had been instructed to do this before when I had this problem the first time) but when i got to the regedt32 file, i click on it, and it won't open. I am not sure what this is supposed to do, but it did not work.

I have also restarted the computer in safe mode to "Last Known Configuration" - this did not work.

I also restarted my computer in regular Safe Mode and did a system restore to a previous date, this did not work either,. I still keep getting the Windows Explorer and Dr. Watson Debugger error.

Additionally, while in safe mode, I was able to run every single function in Tune UP utilities2006 and I also ran a Scan from Ewido suite anti-virus and cleaned up whatever infections it found.

STILL, when I rebooted the computer, ID DID NOT WORK. I still get both errors. I can't open anything at all.

CAn someone please help????? It would be greatly appreciatted.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter

OR

Right click the taskbar, click task manager, click file, new task, type sfc /scannow then press enter

felidave

felidave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
OK, i will try this when i get home and I will let you know if it works. thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if that doesn't work you might want to try this...

Repair XP Installation without Clean Install:
Configure your computer BIOS to start from the CD-ROM drive at bootup.

Insert your Windows XP compact disc (CD) into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed.
Do not select this option.

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

This will repair XP and put everything back to as it first was.
You will have to reinstall any Hotfixes and OS updates including SP1 and DX9, plus retweak most (but not all) things all over again.

The advantage here is that you will not have to spend hours reinstalling all your programs again, as well as setting them up.........

felidave

felidave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
OK, First I tried running "cfc /scannow" from the task manager and I got a window with a status bar that read the following:

"Please wait while windows verifies that all protected windows files are intact and in their original versions"

however, the status bar never really moved, never even started and the window goes away without doing anything. I tried opening programs but I still got the same 2 error messages. I rebooted to see if it had worked, still did not work.

Now, in regards to re-installing windows components from the Microsoft XP CD-ROM, well, I can't. i do not have the software. My system did not come with an actual XP software CD. It is a Sony VAIO and I only have system recovery CD's and Application recovery CD's.

Is there any other way? I am desperate and frustrated. Yet, I appreciatte all your help.

Thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you know someone with a xp CD you can borrow their CD and do a repair on windows

felidave

felidave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well, actually, Just moved to a new town. Don't know anyone. Does anyone know any other way to fix problem?

Please...