Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton "program Integrity" scan

• Please log in to reply

caadlers

caadlers

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thank you for helping me.

Norton Sysworks 2006 basic ed. was bundled with Int. Sec. 2006 so I installed it. I ran the "one button checkup" scans. The "program integrity" scan informed me that I had missing program files and gave the following details:

C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB898458$\ORUN32.EXE" cannot access a necessary file, "learn32.dll.”

C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB898458$\ORUN32.EXE" cannot access a necessary file, "pctree32.dll."

and it is unable to repair this.

I have a brand new (actually new refurbished) HP pavillion 1240n with XPMedia center edition v.2002 SP2 preinstalled. I subsequently installed the Norton programs.

Everything seems to be working fine, but I hate to hear I already have missing files. do I need to fix this problem and if not, what are the possible consequences of missing these files?

Once again, I really appreciate your time.

Thanks,
caadlers

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
its a windows update...you could redownload it here

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

install--should fix your issue--not sure why it is missing

caadlers

caadlers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
:whistling: I am sorry to bother you again, but I can't figure it out. I followed the link and there are multiple downloads on the this issue. It says to "Download the files most appropriate for you". Unfortunately, although I have explored the options, I am unable to discover which files are the most appropriate for me.

thanks again

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You want this one

StepByStepInteractiveTraining-KB898458-x86-ENU.exe

caadlers

caadlers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i tried that one before i wrote back and i still got the same message about missing files, even after rebooting.

i am not sure that i will have access to that computer again before next week (i am at another location now). can we keep this open until then or do you prefer that i start a new post next week? whichever option is better is fine. i really appreciate the help.

thanks again,
caadlers

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
We keep them open, but you may want to post back or PM me or flag another person down

try this:

start > run
regsvr32.exe learn32.dll
<enter>

start > run
regsvr32.exe pctree32.dll
<enter>

caadlers

caadlers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
sorry to take so long to try this, but i have not been at this computer since last week.

i tried your last suggestion and got error messages:

LoadLibrary("learn32.dll")failed-the specific moldule could not be found

LoadLibrary("pctree32.dll")failed-the specific moldule could not be found

so here's a thought:
i searched (including hidden folders)for an installation of the program itself (step by step interactive learning) and except for some notes concerning the security update (it appears that i had installed this sometime in april, and the exe. i donwloaded and ran last week) i only found a "readme" concerning the program itself which seems to be concerning XP pro. I don't run XP pro on this computer(unless media center version uses it??) so i think maybe the security update did not really apply to my system. if i delete the security update from april and again when i did it last week, might that solve the problem?? because i don't think the original program is even installed on my system.

i will not do anything before hearing back, but there is no hurry because i am unfortunately not going to be here again until next week. i am sorry to have bothered you with this at this time. if i had known i wouldn't be here to finish it up in a timely fashion, i would have waited with my question to begin with.

i do have on other thing i don't understand-it seems that i have several updates that were installed before i had even ordered this computer regarding "xp media ctr. ed. 2005". my system properties tells me that i am running xp media ctr. 2002.

thank you again for your time and trouble.
caadlers