Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop - No Power up

• Please log in to reply

ArkadyGr

ArkadyGr

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello every one, I am having the following issue. I hapen to receive this desktop computer, it seems like it was asembled by either some private individuals or a cheap company. It has an Amptron motehrboard and a Turbolink power suply with a "support for Pentium 4" sticker on it. It has two (one large one small) soft switch buttons in the front and one black switch on the back apears to be attached to a powersuply. None of the switches power up t he system. I opened the tower and all the wires seem to be conected.

What troubleshooting steps I should take before concluding that the power suply needs to be replaced. Although the system looks to be rather new, jus ta little dust here and there that's about it.

Thank you for your time

Arkady.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

If I am understanding you correctly the "soft switches" are case switches one for reset and one for power on.

The "black switch on the back" is a switch witch turns on the power supply.

If the power supply is switched on and has power from the wall outlet and the computer does nothing, no lights, no fans not for even a second then it is one of two things a bad case switch or bad power supply (psu).

To check for a bad case switch follow the wirers from the switch to where they connect to the mother board (mobo), then remove them, touch the two pins that the wirers connected to with a screw driver. This should start the system telling you a bad case switch.

To check for a dead psu, remove the psu completely from the computer then with it pluged in to wall outlet take a paper clip and touch the green and any black wirer in the 20 pin connecter, this should power on the psu and you will know by the fan spinning.

This is unusual as most psu's will power on but just because they power on don't mean they are good but in this case you just need to get something to run.

The above suggestions are only if ther are no lights, no drives spinning up, no fans turning on even for a split second, if any of these occur it could be a wrong jumper setting on the mobo or something else.

Rick

elushka

elushka

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have the similar problem. There is no power in the dell system... However, there is a little green light on the mother board itself. Once I push the power button, nothing happens. So I've tested the power supply with the paper clip like u guys said. Power supply seems to be working once I stick the paper clip in 20 connector. However there is no power. Please help me asap. I need to fix it by tomorrow. What should I do next?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

So this is a dell system and the psu is working,

Next see if the heatsink that is attached to the cpu is loose

Rick

elushka

elushka

• Pip
  • 9 posts
The little black one? Its tight but not loose either. It ok. And the system powers on from time to time. Or sometimes it won't react at nothing at all. What's wrong with that?

elushka

elushka

• Pip
  • 9 posts
The little black one? Its tight but not loose either. It ok. And the system powers on from time to time. Or sometimes it won't react at nothing at all. What's wrong with that?

ArkadyGr

ArkadyGr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

SOrry, for getting lost. I actually put that problem on hold for now. BUt as an update... when I replaced a psu with a working one.. the system didi power up.. but while booting befor it got to OS it shut down ... and wouldnt start again until a few minutes later ... could it really overheat so fats ... even though the booting did take mighty long. Anyway ... Ill get back to that computer some other time. I have another question you guys if I may. I am shopping for a UPS for my home network. I am not familair with Voltage and.or Wattage values. What should I aim at to hadel a 3.4GHz P4 server with 3 HDDs (580 GB between them) 1.5 Ram plus a CRT MOnitor well and I guess also a Broadband MOdem and a router. The values that I mostly come across are VA Rating and Output Voltage. If you can recomend a product that would also be cool :tazz:. I am ultimatly looking for a device that would put WIndows either in Standby or HYbernation mode... or at least simply shut down.

elushka

elushka

• Pip
  • 9 posts
The power cord is connected and I didn't press the power button. All of the sudden the fan(not the one in psu) starts working with interruptions and the power light/hard drive lights flashing. That means that computer will power up. But why?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I don't know what you mean by the "little black one"

The heatsink is attached to the cpu to keep it cool, in modern dell systems it is located under a green air ducked, carefully pull the air ducked away and see it the heatsink is loose (finned aluminum thing). If it is then the cpu is overheating, this is common in dell systems the black plastic retainer that holds the heatsink in place crackes and you will need to order a new one from dell.

This is one of the first things to check for when a dell won't boot.

Rick

elushka

elushka

• Pip
  • 9 posts
The heatsink as u described it sits tight, I don't see any cracks or any visual damage to it. I can't move it phisically. And still the behavior that will lead us to the right direction is next: why once I plug the power cord sometimes the fan located on top of the heatsink starts working with interruptions and power/hd lights go flashing. And sometimes all the system is dead even if I will press the power button. What does it say to you? Please help.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
If you can't phisically move it then that not the problem and your cpu is not overheating

why once I plug the power cord sometimes the fan located on top of the heatsink starts working with interruptions and power/hd lights go flashing. And sometimes all the system is dead even if I will press the power button. What does it say to you?

I ain't sure at this point it could be the psu, by unpluging it from wall you are resetting it and when you plug it back in it has a little extra power in it to do that.

You could try another psu, I have to get sleep now if you need more help I will be back tomarrow.

Rick

elushka

elushka

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Rick, I appritiate your help. I really do. The first thing I'm gonna do in the morning is a purchase of a new psu from compusa. Once ill replace it I will get back to u guys with the results. Thank you all. I hope the new psu will work this out. If not I will bring it back and ask for refund and search for a new solution. Thank you.

elushka

elushka

• Pip
  • 9 posts
That was indeed psu problem. Once I installed the new one, system started up smoothly. Looks like the paper clip test is not the right indicator of working psu. Anyway, thatnk you guys!

elushka

elushka

• Pip
  • 9 posts
That was indeed psu problem. Once I installed the new one, system started up smoothly. Looks like the paper clip test is not the right indicator of working psu. Anyway, thatnk you guys!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

This is unusual as most psu's will power on but just because they power on don't mean they are good but in this case you just need to get something to run.

elushka, I did state the above, I was just trying to see if the original posters psu would power on, in your case you would have needed to check the voltages on all 3 rails with a volt meter for a more accurate test. But it was late and we did not get that far into trouble shooting.

Anyway glad you got it fixed

Rick