Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need help downloading email to Outlook via IMAP

• Please log in to reply

bokchoy

bokchoy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I am attempting to setup my all of my coworkers' emails in Outlook. I want to download all of their webmail to Outlook 2003 via IMAP. I've set it up on a few different computers so far, and there seems to be a different problem with each.

-on one account, all the headers are downloaded, although I specified that I wanted it to download the entire messages. whenever I try to subscribe to IMAP folders or process marked headers, it says Outlook is not connected to the server. However, my internet connection works fine, and I have no problem connecting via POP3.

-I often have trouble sending out mail. Whether I send it via POP3 or IMAP, I get an error message saying that the connection was unexpectedly terminated.

Please help!!! it's urgent!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
are you connecting to an imap server? if the mail server in question is a pop server...then you wont be able to use the imap type stuff....same with smtp....if it's not an imap server...the it's not gonna work..

bokchoy

bokchoy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yeah, our current account works with both IMAP and POP3.
I have been able to get it working more or less on other computers, but I am having this problem with just one, even though i set up the account the same way as the others.

it wouldn't have anything to do with the incoming/outgoing server ports, would it? i just have it on the "default" settings for all of the accounts i've set it up with...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if the ports were wrong then none of them would work...the fact that some do and some don't is troubling...and the ones that don't work with impa work perfectly with pop?...is there a problem with having some connected via pop and soem via imap?

bokchoy

bokchoy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I still can't figure this out. I've been downloading all our company emails to one computer via IMAP, and it's been working for the most part. but sometimes it says "can't connect to the server", but then i'll try it later and it will work eventually. sometimes it can connect, others it can't.
But the problem is, if it can't always connect, the emails may be delayed, and this could be problematic.

the ports are different for POP3 and IMAP (25 as the Outgoing for both, and for incoming - 110 for POP3, 143 for IMAP, if that helps?)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
there' may be something messed up on the mail server...or there may be a firewall somewhere blocking access... but am i correct in assuming that if you do pure pop3 (smtp for out of course)...that it works 100% of the time?

bokchoy

bokchoy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
actually no, the POP3 is having similar problems. when I hit send/receive, i get 2 error messages saying the "TCP/IP connection was unepectedly terminated by the server", and that it cannot connect to the server.

i got messages from this morning, but they came in maybe a couple of hours after they were sent. and the POP3 never seems to be able to send...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
...is this a public server or a private server (i.e. your ISP server would be public...an internal server that you actually set up and manage would be private)

bokchoy

bokchoy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
it's a public server.

POP3 still isn't sending, and they both seem to have problems getting/staying connected to the server.
might it have anything to do with firewall or blocking of ports? I have no idea how this works but just thought i'd ask...

also, i downloaded all of my emails via POP3, and I must have had the option to "delete messages from the server" selected. so it downloaded everything in my inbox, and now there is nothing on the server - so all my folders are gone, although i didn't get a chance to download them by IMAP. this is probably a long shot, but is there ANY chance these could ever be recovered???

Edited by bokchoy, 23 May 2006 - 01:34 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i would contact your isp about these issues...they may have a recovery option as well...

bokchoy

bokchoy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I will try that. but before I do that, I'm wondering since I just transfered my email host, is there still a chance they could be recovered?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
it's possible....i can't say whether it is likely...but it is possible..