Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All computers can connect to the internet except 1

• Please log in to reply

Redlazer

Redlazer

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Well, last night my internet decided to stop functioning. Pings to my gateway time out (a slow time out), pings to my ip address (set statically) and to loopback are returned fine. Windows has held my static ip's after reboot. When set to dynamic, it tries to connect to the DHCP server but fails (timeout). Also, i have seen something before. I play with ipconfig all the time, and ive never seen these Teredo Tunneling Adapter things before. What are they? They dont show up on my girlfriends computer (which is on th same network, and connects to the internet just fine), and they also have what seems liek hexadecimal ip addresses, but ive never heard of that before. Also, my Local Area Connection has two IP Address fields in IPconfig, and it is laid out like this: (when set up with static)

Ip Address: 192.168.1.50
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Ip Address:fe00::20f:eaff:fe81:d0b0%4
Default Gateway: (blank)

I filled in the gateway myself in static, but it still didnt show up.

Connecting through a 5 port router/switch, with two other computers than can access the internet fine. Running Windows XP Professional Corp ed, SP 2.

IP Scheme is as follows:
IP: 192.168.1.2-253
Subnet:255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.254
DNS: 192.168.1.254

Phew. Any other info requested i will be happy to provide.

-Red

Advertisements

Redlazer

Redlazer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Anyone? Any ideas at all?

-Red

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Go to control panel, system, click the Hardware tab, and click the "Device Manager" button. Now scroll down to "Network Adapters". Expand it by clicking the "+" next to it and find your network adapter in the list. If you only have 1 network card in the pc then most likely you should only show 1. Right click it and click "uninstall". When it is finished, reboot the computer and let windows automatically recognize and install it again. Now go and set your static IP again and hopefully things should work. One question... Is there a specific reason you're using static IP's? DHCP is much easier and user friendly.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

Redlazer

Redlazer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Figured it out a little while ago. Had to reinstall drivers (just like you said). Why i didnt think to do that earlier, i have no idea.

I like static addressing because it keeps everything a bit more organized. I know what all the addys are, so i can send messages and do other things, especially when it comes to enabling ports for port forwarding.

Thanks anyways though. Just amkes me wonder what could have possibly caused the problem.

-Red