Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows booting slow, no desktop icons or start menu

• Please log in to reply

madison89

madison89

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I installed a windows update for virus protection, I believe, that popped up on my desktop this morning. Then when I went to restart, after the windows loading screen, the screen to insert your username and password takes about 2 or 3 minutes to load.

Then the desktop appears but with no icons or taskbar. Then Windows Explorer automatically opens My Documents. I can open files from there in Microsoft Office but I cannot open anything else including pictures and programs. If I go to open My Computer from there it takes about 5 minutes to open but then I can browse through the files. I also can't open the Control Panel. Also, Windows automatically recognised a printer and video controller that were already installed and tried to install them but failed.

Anyone familiar with this or could tell me what I should be doing? Just ask if you need more details.

Thanks in advance,

Madison

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
use system restore...go back about a week...the update didn't go well...wait a couple of days before trying to install the update

madison89

madison89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

use system restore...go back about a week...the update didn't go well...wait a couple of days before trying to install the update

Sorry, forgot to mention I tried that but no go on system restore opening either. And also all the folders are in a random order.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look in the control panel..in the ...add remove programs... and find the last update..remove it...usually windows create a restore point when updateing..unless you have it turned off

if after trying and you cant find a way to fix the problem...do this

Repair XP Installation without Clean Install:
Configure your computer BIOS to start from the CD-ROM drive at bootup.

Insert your Windows XP compact disc (CD) into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed.
Do not select this option.

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

This will repair XP and put everything back to as it first was.
You will have to reinstall any Hotfixes and OS updates including SP1 and DX9, plus retweak most (but not all) things all over again.

The advantage here is that you will not have to spend hours reinstalling all your programs again, as well as setting them up.........