Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Case Reccomendations

• Please log in to reply

JTingly

JTingly

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
What Computer Cases do you reccomend? im looking for one that is $100 and under 110 if you have to :whistling:
but the computer would be aimed at gaming, and hopefully it can last a long time.

i was thinking of getting a Xion case, but, from reviews, its hard to install and crap..but anything else you reccomend

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
What kind of style are you looking for in a case? And what do you plan to put in it or see through it? There are many nice cases under $110. It all depends on your area pricing or what style you want. ATX, Micro-ATX, Full Tower, etc.

Here is a nice mutant mods case I got for my pc. It's a good case to put lights in.

http://www.atruerevi...c_case/1big.jpg

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
If you don't mind how bright it is or how loud it is, then I would suggest anything from:

http://aspireusa.net/default.php

I have the X-Navigator and if you disable some of the fans, or replace them with quieter ones, it's an amazing case. It's got lots of space, keeps everything cool, and the front panel cover makes it look great. Four front bay slots, space for har drives, and the best feature, a front panel LCD that shows the CPU and HDD temperatures and a fan speed controller.

Also, another question for you, do you want one with windows (side panel) or without?
Do you want it to have a PSU included?

Another thing to look at while shopping is look for a case made of aluminum or steel. Plastic cases (such as the Mutantmod one) are flimsier and you have to be "gentle" with them :whistling: Personally I would go with a metal case.

Edited by BlackPandemic, 19 May 2006 - 09:19 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I like antec and coolermaster.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

I like antec and coolermaster.

ditto

When it comes to cases, I try to spend as little possible, but I am not trying to impress anyone with what is outside the case (but people who know computers will be more impressed with Antec and Coolermaster cases)

I will typically spend $30 on a case and spend more on a power supply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Another thing to look at while shopping is look for a case made of aluminum or steel. Plastic cases (such as the Mutantmod one) are flimsier and you have to be "gentle" with them Personally I would go with a metal case.

Contrary to what Black Pandemic said, mutant mods cases (well at least the one I have), has 5-6cm thick panels reinforced by metal and fat acrylic blocks hidden in every corner. This case is not flimsy at all :whistling: . I can pick it up with one hand. Most acrylic cases are flimsy though. But that also has to do with the company or style you go with. Everything brings a warranty anyways so no need to worry.

It's all a matter if you wanna have something that looks nice outside or something that is low in price but high in value. I do say you should go with antec and coolermaster as suggested. I went with the mutant mods, because I'm into modding pcs, lighting, and customizing.

Edited by superstar, 19 May 2006 - 02:12 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the thing about cases is you never really know what you are getting until you have it--always nice to actually see a case before buying it

I've bought cases for $30 that you could throw from a moving car on the freeway and get run over by a Mac truck and they laugh at you and say "Do it again!"

And I've had $70 cases that you pick up and they fall apart in your hand. Worst case I ever dealt with was a nice looking case with windows, lights, fans, strobes--even a freaking built in handle. Nothing but trouble. Material was cheap, the stock lights all started popping, wires were too short...gaggguhghhh!

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

And I've had $70 cases that you pick up and they fall apart in your hand. Worst case I ever dealt with was a nice looking case with windows, lights, fans, strobes--even a freaking built in handle. Nothing but trouble. Material was cheap, the stock lights all started popping, wires were too short...gaggguhghhh!

Wow! Lights can start popping in a case??? What kind? Those cathode ones? That's something I never heard before. GerryF is right, You have to take your chances with a case sometimes and get what is right.

JTingly

JTingly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
thanks, i didnt expect so many replise :whistling: i'll look into the cooler brand ones

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, it was a laser led....it was kind of cool while it worked, but it popped and shorted the whole system...

Advertisements

JTingly

JTingly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

If you don't mind how bright it is or how loud it is, then I would suggest anything from:

http://aspireusa.net/default.php

I have the X-Navigator and if you disable some of the fans, or replace them with quieter ones, it's an amazing case. It's got lots of space, keeps everything cool, and the front panel cover makes it look great. Four front bay slots, space for har drives, and the best feature, a front panel LCD that shows the CPU and HDD temperatures and a fan speed controller.

Also, another question for you, do you want one with windows (side panel) or without?
Do you want it to have a PSU included?

Another thing to look at while shopping is look for a case made of aluminum or steel. Plastic cases (such as the Mutantmod one) are flimsier and you have to be "gentle" with them :whistling: Personally I would go with a metal case.

Well, i don't want a plastic one of course..lol, but yes i'd like one with windows and its colored. i checked out that site you gave, me but which part do i BUY it. Cause i didn't see any prices there.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I love my lanboy, best case ive ever had and its the best case of all my lanning buddies, light weight with window plenty HDD space comes with the fans and gel mounts its great. I like a few of the antec cases they are well made. Quality speaks for itself which is what i like i would rather have a case that wasnt the best looking but will last a long time and still be as good as the day i bought it. the 530 range from coolermaster are really good value.

JTingly

JTingly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
got a picture and the link of where to buy it?

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Both the Aspire line and the Antec SuperLanboy can be found at Newegg.com which is my preferred electronics dealer (right above Tigerdirect.com).

The Lanboy looks too small for my taste, but it does look like a good buy considering it's about $80 compared to around $150 for the Aspire.

It's alomost preference. Check out all the options of each, think of expansion, cooling, looks (if that matters), and check out review sites (I use Cnet.com's reviews).

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The lanboy is surprisingly big, like most 120mm cases its wide so plenty room to work, it doesnt have alot of superflous space but it has plenty for whats needed, you can have the extra space but it just goes to waste and cooling wise its one of the best cases ive ever had(part of that is down to its small size, smaller is better for airflow. Its very well laid out as well the drive bays for HDD are layed across the front and its a rack system its very clever and easy to use. What can i say i like the case it oozes quality.

Ive never liked aspire cases they always look cheap and overpriced to me, for the cash they are here i would rather get a silverstone or lian li maybe an akasa, but cases are quite cheap here.

The akasa eclipse is the case i dream of is love the look, was tempted to get it but just couldnt justify the cost in my head. Amazing case, get a couple of akasa ultra quiet 120s and it would rock. The window you get for it is also cool.

Edited by warriorscot, 19 May 2006 - 07:22 PM.