Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

URGENT MONITOR HELP

• Please log in to reply

Stormy

Stormy

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
:whistling: I have a Multisync 97F monitor and a Geforce 6600 video card and running xp pro. Everything has been fine for a while until today. Why suddenly would my monitor be flashing on and off and resetting its vertical refresh rate back to 60 hz? What is it needing or what is that a symptom of? Please help, I have it left on 60hz but i dont know how long this will last. Thank You in advance for any help

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
is it still flashing on and off at 60 Hz

Edited by happyrck, 18 May 2006 - 08:31 PM.

Stormy

Stormy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
No it seems to be fine so far. Any ideas? :whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...if its not broke dont fix it...

Edited by happyrck, 18 May 2006 - 08:52 PM.

Stormy

Stormy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
LOLOL your kidding right? It concerns me when my pc takes over and starts resetting itself.
Problem At least 85 Hz vertical refresh rate is recommended for classic (CRT) displays.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
are you seeing any flicker...if not then 60Hz is ok try 70 see what happens still ok try 80

Stormy

Stormy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
i tried 75, then 70, then 65 to 60 and its fine on 60. But what im wondering is what made it suddenly do this? like i said its been fine for months and suddenly today it just freaks. lol I dont know wether to look at a monitor problem or a video card problem.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if trying the other settings didn't work and 60 did then it must be the monitor and not the video card

:whistling:

Edited by happyrck, 18 May 2006 - 09:52 PM.

Stormy

Stormy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Would Microsoft .NET Frame have anything to do with it? cuz earlier today nortons windoctor said it couldnt fix those files.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this has nothing to do with your monitor

Overview
The .NET Framework version 1.1 redistributable package includes everything you need to run applications developed using the .NET Framework.

The .NET Framework version 1.1 provides improved scalability and performance, support for mobile device development with ASP.NET mobile controls (formerly the Microsoft Mobile Internet Toolkit), support for Internet Protocol version 6, and ADO.NET classes for native communication with Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) and Oracle databases. It also enables the use of code access security to further lock down and isolate ASP.NET applications. For more information, read the .NET Framework Version 1.1 Product Overview.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Sounds strictly hardware....your monitor has the ability to refesh at a variety of rates (back in the old days, monitors had a single refresh rate)

The circuitry that controls the refresh rate sounds like it is dying/dead, which is why you have defaulted to the lowest refresh rate.

It does not sound like a videocard issue

Stormy

Stormy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
As it turns out, it is the video card. I hooked up a different monitor and it did the same thing. I hooked my monitor up to a different pc and it was fine. Thank you for trying though