Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

black screen

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
was it displaying this kind of behavior before the reformat?

I ask because I am leaning toward a faulty power supply that is just taking a little extra time to charge up. Was it taking a while to boot previously?

Advertisements

tess912

tess912

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
No it was not. It didn't start till I reformated.
Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If it did not start at all, I would say that it was the master boor record or partition boot record -- the black screen with flashing icon is common.

The fact it eventually starts is the puzzler

You have a windows xp cd key, start the PC with it, and enter the recovery console by pressing R

At the prompt, type:

fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0
<enter>
then
fixboot c:
<Enter>

reboot

Same or different....?

Your other PC that you are using now...are they both desktops or is one a laptop?

tess912

tess912

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Nothing changed and both are desk tops.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
My gut still says power supply...if I were there, I'd pull the power supply from the known good machine, and plug it into the bad machine as a test

You do not need to remove the suspected bad power supply, Just unplug it from the motherboard and drives, then put the good one on a book next to the open case, and plug it it

Try starting, see if it works better or the same

tess912

tess912

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
If I open the tower it will void my daughters warrenty with Dell. However I think I will and not tell them so when I call them I can tell them what is wrong. Wish me luck! I'm gonna shut this one down and give it a try then I'll end up on the phone half the night with Dell talking to someone that doesn't speak very good english. No offence to anyone but it is true. Being able to communicate is a must in this business and the lack of it can really slow things down. I will post on here tomorrow morning what I find out, tonight if it's not to late.
Thank you for all your help!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
good luck