Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

setting up power surge protecter to computer?

• Please log in to reply

faithmusic

faithmusic

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am running a pc desktop, 2 external burners, 2 printers (one is a fax, copier), cable modem and router. I have everything running off 3 power strips. I have a Belkin Power Authority II (surge protector) unit that manages 5 places to plug in. (computer, monitor, printer aux 1 and aux 2). Can I plug my computer, monitor and printer individually and plug my other equipment into 2 strips and plug them into the aux 1 and aux 2?
I'm sorry if this question sounds confusing, but I'm confused and need some help.
Thanks. :whistling:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You should certainly be able to do that. The important thing to consider is the maximum capacity of the belkin unit, probably expressed in watts and/or amps. Just make sure the combined load of the components does not exceed that capacity.

faithmusic

faithmusic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I'm happy to see that my question wasn't a silly one. I don't have a manual for the Belkin. How can I find out if it will handle all of my stuff?
And also, if there is too much stuff plugged into it, will it damage anything?
Thanks.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
There is probably a label on it that provides the maximum load (in watts or amps or both). Look for the UL label (underwriters laboritory). The load info is required, should be near that UL label. The other electrical components have similar labels that advise how many watts they use. If you over load it, it may not function properly, and heat or other damage could (emphasis on could) occur. Think about what happens if you over load a circuit on your house. A circuit breaker trips and boom, power is off. The breaker tips due to heat caused by excess current draw.

faithmusic

faithmusic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
On the UL listed, it says:

MAXIMUM LOAD: 15A 125VAC 60HZ 1875W.

I guess the 1875W is what I'm looking for?

faithmusic

faithmusic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have another question. Can I have 2 printers installed to one computer? One as a printer and the other as a scanner, fax and copier? Or will they cancel each other out?
Thanks again.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Yes, you certainly can They will not cancel each otehr out.

You just need to choose which device you want to print to from within an application by mousing File > Print, and selecting your printer.

The way you wrote your post would indicate to me you want a dedicated printer, so make that the default, and the other for other functions. Those functions will operate fine independently of which printer id the default

faithmusic

faithmusic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey gerryf,
Thanks so much for the info. I'm gonna hook everything up tonight!

I guess I should install the software for both units?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Yes. About the only thing to watch out for is if both printers use the same third party software (like maybe a card making utility)--just install the newest second

faithmusic

faithmusic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The installation went well, but the hp is now my default printer. Which isn't a bad thing, it prints very well.
But if I wanted to use my other printer, how can I switch to it?
Thanks.
Also, would anybody know how much it would cost to replace the HP LaserJet Toner Cartridge for the Laserjet 3150?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Go to start, printers and faxes. Then double click on the printer you want to use. Then under "Printer" on the left, put a check mark on "set as default printer".

As for the cost of the lazerjet cartridge, do a goole search for Laserjet 3150 toner cartridge. You should get your answer there.

faithmusic

faithmusic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks again for your reply. You guys are very helpful!

faithmusic

faithmusic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Could you tell me if the Laserjet 3150 toner cartridge is also a color cartridge? Everything I've printed, so far, is in black.
Thanks.

faithmusic

faithmusic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm guessing it is. Because I can't find in the manual that it has color adjustments. I guess the laserjet 3150 is mostly for office use in black and white, right?