Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Connectivity at all now

• Please log in to reply

Janele

Janele

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It showed a green "passed". I expanded everything and everything was "passed" or status ok.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hmm...

start > run > cmd > ipconfig /release
then
ipconfig /renew
then ipconfig /flushdns
then ipconfig /registerdns

Janele

Janele

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ok, that step completed (released, renewed, flushed, and registered).

By the way, I have pinged and when the connection isn't working is says "ping request could not find host". If I remember right, the cable tech guy got the same message when he just had the cable modem (no router involved). But he did a couple things, it pinged ok once, and he called it "fixed".

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i think the guy that came to your house is a dink....i'd request another tech to come out and not let them leave till they see the issue to be sure....there shouldn't be anything wrong on your end...especially with the current tests....also...if connected directly to the cable modem still gives errors...it's generally the isp's fault...or their modem is junk...

Janele

Janele

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I agree, the guy WAS a dink. Because this is a new service in our area, I don't know if they have anyone better..... plus he basically said the company couldn't do anymore, and to fix it they would have to have my computer at $40+ am hour to fix IT. That's why I'm really struggling to try and prove what the problem is so I can go to them and tell them what THEY need to fix (although if we found it's my problem, I would be fine with that also). I just want the dadgum thing to work.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you know anyone in your area that has the same service? or a different broadband service? if so do you think you could take y our laptop to their house and see if the problem persists on their connection as well? that would rule out a system problem

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You say cable dsl, but I think you mean cable...dsl is offered through your local telco, and cable comes in over the same line as your cable tv

How long have you had cable tv? Did they install a new line from the pole to your house when you installed cable internet, or leave the old one?

Janele

Janele

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
My brother-in-law got cable broadband about a week before we did, and he has the same problem, but not as often or severe. He gets the message that the site cannot be found, and especially on ebay his page doesn't always load correctly (little boxes with a red X where pictures should be).

Is there a forum here where I can have the settings that are checked on my belkin wireless router looked over? Maybe if I get things working the same with or without the router I'll have better luck persuading them to look things over again.

We are in a tiny town in SE New Mexico (pop 30,000), and broadband is just starting up here. The only other services I know of are dsl thru the phone company (which was slow and had lots of disconnects).

Janele

Janele

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I did mean cable, sorry. We got the cable service for the tv 6 months ago, and they had to run a new cable thru the house because the other one was so old. They also put in splitters (3 of them - the new cable broadband and digital cable are on one splitter, one splitter has 2 lines with regular cable tv, and the other splitter also has 2 lines with regular cable tv.). I don't remember them running a new line to the house from the pole at all. And, now that you mention it, our digital cable tv picture isn't as clear as it should be.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what kind of cable modem do you have (make and model)

Advertisements

Janele

Janele

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
TTERAYON Model TJ716X is the modem

The wireless Router is a Belkin Pre-N model #F5D8230-4

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the splitters and bad coax could be causing this indeed...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, I am trying to find a useful manual for that one and no luck...I suspect that your signal strength is inadequate, which could result in these issues. The additional splitters also is troublesome.

Normally, you can log into the modem with a web browser, but that entails knowing what the ip address for the cable modem is.

When your cable goes in an out, do the lights on the cable modem change?

If they suddenly go off when the connection fails, I would call the cable compnany and tell them you suspect a signal loss--tell them it is intermittent

they should be able to log in to the cable modem remotely and determine this

You could also consider a router firmware update

http://www.belkin.co...00&lang=1&mode=

Janele

Janele

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
When I can't get thru to a website the power, cable, and pc lights all remain on and steady. The data and test lights, however, blink twice in rapid succession. It's like it tries really fast to find a site, then quits.

I'll go to the belkin site and see what I can dig up.

Thanks, and any more ideas, let me know!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you know a location within your house where one of the splitters for the digital side is? (this is usually hard to do cuz they put them in stupid places)...if you could hook up the modem to a piece of cable that's coming directly out of the box ouside where the cable comes into the house...it might make a diff