Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony Vaio PCG-V505BX

• Please log in to reply

arabcamel

arabcamel

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Just recently I had a problem with my sony laptop of 2 years. I have never had a problem like this. I was using my laptop and everything was fine. I completly turned it off one night and when i turned it back on the next day there was a problem. The SONY logo came up and then it went to a blank black screen and said only "Windows Operating System Not Found". I found it wierd that I didn't hear the hard disks turn on or anything. When I turn on the laptop, there is no sound that I usually hear. After trying to turn it on, it stays fairly silent and nothing happens. I went into the BIOS setup. The BIOS setup is the only thing I can go into. After going into the BIOS setup, I didn't know what to change or anything, so this is why I am asking for any help. I have a warrenty on the laptop at a retail store. They said it's only for hardware problems, so that if I take it in for diagnostics and it's a hardware problem, it will be fixed free of charge, but it will take 7-10 days. I was hoping to get it fixed easier than that. Plus, if it ends up being a software problem (such as the Bios softoware) they will charge me $60 for the diagnostics. Please Help

thank you in advance!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
got a windows xp cd?

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
unfortunately I don't have a windows XP cd i don't think. I never had it when I bought the laptop. I only once attempted a recovery, but the Sony Viao has a Sony recovery program where you don't even require to have the windows cd. what can I do without it?

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
anyone have any advise?

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

anyone have any advise?

Hi, make sure you don't have a disk or cd in one of your drives

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I checked that. No disks or anything... anything else?

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
took it to bestbuy and found out my harddrive burned out..