Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stupid DVD/CD Drive Combo

• Please log in to reply

Kaymi13

Kaymi13

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok I have an Hp Pavilion Notebook pc (given to me so I dont know if it has the original settings or how old it is) that I have had for a couple of months.

The DVD/CD (HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4080N) will play all of my DVDs but wont play music cds or program/game cds

Im a newbie at this whole computer thing (basically I know how to turn it on and off) so I dont know what to do?

Can you help me please?

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I'm just double checking (you're probably right because of that long NumberLetter combo you provided) but you're sure it's combo and not just DVD-R drive?

Otherwise, it would seem that somehow, the CD portion of your combo drive has failed in some way.

Kaymi13

Kaymi13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The device manager says its a DVD/CD-rom combo. But it only stopped reading cds about a month ago.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
There is no "CD portion that can fail" if DVD movei playback still works. Try using XP_CD-DVD-Fix. Just download it, run it and then reboot. Keep your fingers crossed, but at least this won't hurt anything.

BTW, your optical drive was made by LG Electronics.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Just a theory because I can't see any other logical reason why only half of a drive would stop :scratches head:

Kaymi13

Kaymi13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried the Cd fixer thing and nothing happened. Anymore suggestions?

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Looking back to your original post what, exactly, do you mean that your drive "wont play music cds or program/game cds" ? Do you mean that they will not autoplay , or do you mean that Windows Media Player doesn't recognize audio CDs ?

What does happen when you try to get Media Player to play the CDs ?
Play > DVD, VCD or CD Audio

Kaymi13

Kaymi13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
When I try to play cds or game/program discs the drive doesnt recognize the disc. A message error will pop up that says insert cd and try again. But if I put in a dvd it plays with no problems.

The drive wont read a cd or game/program disc at all.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
There's one more thing you can try. But a CD/DVD lens cleaning disk, either the wetted kind or the dry. There may be dust and dirt on the lens. These discs can be found at computer stores, Radio Shack and even Wallmart (i've been told).

I don't know how well these cleaners work because I've always removed the optical drive, opened it up and cleaned the lens with a soft cloth or tissue slightly wetted with rubbing alcohol. Wipe using circular motions.

Kaymi13

Kaymi13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Nope I tried i tried using a cd/dvd lens cleaner, and the drive didnt recognize it.

And as far as taking out the optical lens.....Im new at this so that is a definate NO!