Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp major function problem

• Please log in to reply

flynny15

flynny15

• Pip
  • 7 posts
gday all, i have this major problem with winodws right now, every second time i turn the computer on i cant get to the windows screen and just have a screen which says( boot from cd.)
then occasionaly i get a screen whichs says,
major corrupt file
<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

i dont know how to fix the problem is there some way i can repair that file, although i dont know if that will fix my computer. the weirdest thing is when i turn it off for a little while i can get it to start and come back through to windows.

one other thing i have lost my product key for windows xp- is there some way i can contact microsoft and get a new key as i have the cd just not the key.

cheers

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
cmd
<enter>

type
chkdsk /r
<enter>

say yes to perform check disk at next reboot

Reboot

Take a long walk, this will take some time

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
You can retrieve your CD key using Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder. Once you find out what the key is try writing it onto the XP disc with indellible marker. That way it will never get separated from the CD.

flynny15

flynny15

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
gday thanks for your help but i have done what i have been told and its very unsuccesully, although the product key idea worked, the computer still keeps stopping at the boot from cd screen. although very ocasionaly i can get it to windows by switching it on and off many times

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I the first did not work, you should try a Windows repair

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html