Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win98 startup is failing

• Please log in to reply

pendragon

pendragon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ladies and gentlemen, how do!

I am suffering from a similar Win98 problem to one described in other threads. ;)

The message "EXPLORER caused fault in module EXPLORER.EXE at 015f:0040393c" :tazz:

What is immediately different from my error message compared to all those others is that the first 4 digits are different. All the other errors which I have read in the other threads start with one of the 3 followings sets of 4 digits: "0000", "0002" or "0167". ;)

It would be very helpful if someone could, in laymans terms, explain the meaning of these digits and whether or not the different values are significant in differentiating errors. ;)

But I digress. ;)

The error itself appears after Windows98 appears to have successfully loaded. I am then faced with the logon screen. Irrespective of whether I choose "OK", "Cancel" or click the "x" in the top right hand corner the system goes on to display this message and then just hangs. ;)

No new software has been added recently.

I have attempted some of the fixes described in other threads in the hope that even though the message number was different the error may have been the same.

So I have

a.) replaced the EXPLORER.EXE with the Win98 disk version
b.) replaced the SHDOCVW.DLL with the Win98 disk version
c.) searched for the possibility of the Reign.AK virus/trojan by checking for the existence of the c:/windows/system/zztp directory

None of the above have worked. ;)

I would appreciate any light or help on this matter.

Kind regards to one and all,
Arthur Pendragon - King of the Britons

Advertisements