Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows won't start just keeps installing

• Please log in to reply

jackorick

jackorick

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have built a computer using a NVIDIA nForce4 mobo and a Seagate 200GB Sata hard drive. When I try to install Windows XP with sp2 it goes through the installation process and then when it reboots it just starts installing all over again. I really would appreciate any suggestions.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Did you install the sata drivers by hitting f6 and inserting a floppy disk with those drivers?

Sounds like you did not. Windows XP does not include drivers for more sata controllers

jackorick

jackorick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Finally found the problem. It was my bios settings. I disabled Sata 1 and Sata 2 ports and enabled primary and secondary ports then Windows XP installed. Thanks for trying to help with this problem now I just have to work out where the other 70GB of memory have gone, and how to put them back. Not so bad when you can at least use the comp.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you mean 70 MB of memory...

jackorick

jackorick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
oops, no I mean 70 GB HDD. :whistling: It was 200 GB and only 130GB was left once I installed windows. I would have thought there should be more somewhere.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
windows doesn't see the 70 GB yet...this link will tell you how to fix it

http://www.seagate.c..._disk_mgmt.html

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts