Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-RW/DVD Combo drive write errors

• Please log in to reply

sotherbee

sotherbee

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've got a Toshiba DVD/CD RW SD-R2312 combo drive, and recently it stopped writing cd's properly. I have tried multiple disc brands to no avail, and up until a few weeks ago this problem had never occured, and I could write discs all day long with no troubles. It also stopped playing DVD movies much further back, but I am not as concerned with this. The error message I receive from Nero 6, the program I use, is "Burn Process Failed at 24X (3600)" and thats it. Any help or ideas? thank you in advance

Alex

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I suggest you try cleaning the optical lens and see if that helps. You can get a lens cleaning disk at most electronics stores, and even at Walmart. You can also clean with alcohol and qtips. Do a google search on "cleaning optical lens".

sotherbee

sotherbee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I did that and nothing changed. now I am using imation cd's again if that makes any difference.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
First, try going to Nero's web page and look for software updates. Another possibility, go to the cd drive manufacturers web page and check for firmware updates.

sotherbee

sotherbee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

First, try going to Nero's web page and look for software updates. Another possibility, go to the cd drive manufacturers web page and check for firmware updates.

that was uhm....a surprisngly simple fix. I upgraded nero and voila! due to the disc I was using, I was only able to burn at 4x speed though, could that have an effect? I usually do at 24x. I burned a cd though, no problems so far. I will keep you updated on....updates, should they arise!