Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IsWellKnowenSid Error?

• Please log in to reply

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
:whistling: Hey guys,

Today I repaired my PC using the Win2k CD to fix a little problem I was having (you may have read about it in the other forum I posted last week).

Anyway, after repairing it, I went to download the windows updates I needed, done that fine apart from two files that wernt installed (Win2k SP4 roll up or something like that, and some other file I cant remember the name of) When I restarted my PC on boot I received this error "The procedure entry point IsWellKnowenSid could not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll.

After clicking OK a new message poped up and said the following, "This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress. All unsaved work will be lost. This shut down was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM".

Below that message was a timer counting backwards from 1minute, and below that was another message that said the following, "The system process 'C:\WINNT\System32\services.exe' terminated unexpectedly with status code 128. The system will now shut down and restart".

This is the point I got really worried.

After rebooting afew times with the same message poping up over and over again, I tried to put the CD back in and repair it once again, although this time it didnt want to read the CD and wouldnt lauch the setup.

Does anybody have any idea on how to fix this, or am I going to have to take it to a repair shop? :help: :blink:

Thanks guys :)

Bobbobagan

EDIT: I am not even able to run the PC in safe mode.

Edited by bobbobagan, 20 May 2006 - 04:23 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This depends on starting to safe mode, what is the error you get when you try to re-run the repair?

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

1. Restart the computer in Safe mode:

a. Restart the computer.

b. Press F8 when you receive the "Please select the operating system to start" message.

c. On the Windows Advanced Options menu, use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.

d. If you are running other operating systems on the computer, use the arrow keys to select Microsoft Windows 2000 in the list that is displayed, and then press ENTER.

2. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.

3. Locate and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\Shares

4. Back up the registry key:

a. On the Registry menu, click Export Registry File.

b. In the File name box, type Shares_RegKey, and then click Save.

This step saves the Shares registry key to the Shares_RegKey text file, which you can use to restore the key in the future. By default, the file is saved in the My Documents folder. For information about how to restore the key, search Regedit Help for the Import Registry Key topic.

5. Examine the list of values in the right pane of Registry Editor.

Notice that the Data column contains the paths to shared folders. For example, you may see a line similar to the following:

CSCFlags=0 MaxUses=4294967295 Path=E:\NS Permissions=0 Remark= Type=0

This refers to the E:\NS shared folder.

6. For each value, use Windows Explorer to make sure that the path displayed in the Data column represents an existing shared folder. Delete all values that do not correspond to shared folders.

7. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Thats the thing keith... I dont even get as far as being able to press Alt-Ctrl-Del.

Although, this morning I got out my win98 CD support floppy and stuck that in, I managed to open up the CD and start the process for repair, it wants to know where the install files for win2k are but I cant remember where the install files are.

Are they somewhere like c:\winnt? or would it be on the CD, so like E:\Winnt or something

Thanks

Edited by bobbobagan, 20 May 2006 - 04:36 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is this how you are doing the repair?

1) Make sure CD-Rom is first Boot Device in your Bios

2) Insert your Windows 2000 CD

3) Once this is done boot up using CD-Rom Drive. ( When "Hit any Key to Boot From CD-Rom" appears on screen, hit any key on keyboard to invoke CD-Rom boot)

The "Repair Options" screen will eventually appear after Windows 2000 has loaded in device drivers. Press "R" to begin repair process.

Soon you will see another "Repair" menu. Select "F" to perform all repair options.

Now the "Emergency Repair Disk" menu will appear. If you have created the Emergency Repair Disks hit enter else press "L"

Windows 2000 will now search for installs on your system

The "Windows Installs" menu will appear. If you only have one install then press "ENTER" on your keyboard to continue. Or if there's more than one select the installation you wish to repair and then hit "ENTER"
Windows 2000 will now repair your system either from the Emergency Repair Disks (ERD) or from the CD, once done your system will reboot

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I was previously doing my repair like that, but then the CD wouldnt boot.

So I got out my Win98 floppy with CD support 'booted' the PC with support (thats what it said). eventually I got to a command prompt and I typed,
  • E:
  • Then dir, which gave me a list of apps on the cd
  • Then I typed winnt, which started the install process, only it wants me to point it to the Windows 2000 setup installation file is, and im not sure where that is...
any ideas?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi bobbobagan...

At the E:\ prompt, type i386\winnt32.exe and then press "Enter".

wannabe1

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
dont worry guys,

Thanks for your help aye, I talked to my dad about it over the phone (it was his old pc he knows it like the back of his hand) I'm just going to buy a copy of winxp, I can get the MICROSOFT Windows XP Professional Edition Academic Upgrade for $198 NZD

Thanks for your help anyway... you can find a copy of windows 2000 in my bin lol :whistling:

Cya

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Make sure the processor speed of the computer is at LEAST 1GHz and that you have at LEAST 256MB of RAM (memory) or else you will have more problems with XP then you ever thought possible with 2000.

Fenor

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
lol dont worry buddy, I play BF2 and CSS on it, its better than that :whistling:

look below

|
|
|
\/

Edited by bobbobagan, 21 May 2006 - 10:45 PM.