Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CDROM won't eject ... software problem

• Please log in to reply

Matt_T

Matt_T

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hi there

My CDROM drive has stopped ejecting when I press the eject button, or when I click Eject from My Computer.

I've already removed and reinstalled the drive via Device Manager but didn't help.

I can eject OK in Safe Mode so it seems that one of my programs in Normal mode has taken control and locked the drive as if it's in use. But the drive won't open at all, even when idle.

I had this problem a year back and fixed it by uninstalling MusicMatch Jukebox (which I've never reinstalled).

Any ideas what the problem might be? It is that I've recently uninstalled ntlNetGuard and moved over to avast antivirus?

Or is some other program holding my CDRom drive hostage? How to find out? And what software command could unlock it?

Wisdom greatly appreciated........cheers, Matt :whistling:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You could try some troubleshooting with msconfig. I would suggest you eliminate programs that use the drive first, such as your buring software (Nero, Roxio, what ever you use). One at a time, go to start, run and type msconfig and click ok. Then look at the startup tab. Disable the program by removing the check mark. Then test the eject to see if it works.

Matt_T

Matt_T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hiya Austin

I tried disabling Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 and also 'DSentry' which I think is a DVD Sentry program but after a restart it made no difference.

When installing avast antivirus it prompted me to do an update patch for Roxio in order to make it 'compatible' with avast. Could that be the problem? Can I uninstall Roxio and still have a working CD Rom drive?

What next?

Cheers, Matt

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Drag to disc could be doing the locking, look in msconfig and remove the tick for it, if there, click apply and reboot

Check for a firmware update for the CD ROM Drive

Matt_T

Matt_T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Couldn't find Drag to Disc running and Dell site had no firmware upgrade for my CDRom.

I have tried reinstalling the Roxio Easy CD software and seems to have solved problem for now.

Let's hope lasts. Fingers crossed.

Matt

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know

Depending on the version of Roxio you can get updates for it from them

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
If you need another CD/DVD burning program you should consider getting Nero OEM from Ebay. It can be picked up for very little (< $10US) and works very well. It will do any kind of CD and DVD burning except for DVD authoring.

Nero 6.6 Suite (OEM) This vendor seems to have a couple copies for sale.

I personally use the 6.6 Suite and love it.

Get only the "Buy Now" items; don't mess with bidding.

Edited by WinCrazy, 20 May 2006 - 02:48 PM.