Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account Login to Account

Windows XP blank desktop problem

• Please log in to reply

xp_even

xp_even

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I have a problem with Windows Xp.Whenever my computer boots up,it displays a blank desktop screen after the "loading your personal settings..." screen.After this there appears a blank desktop with only the wallpaper and mouse pointer.There is no start menu, desktop items or the taskbar.Only the taskbar can be opened and programs and processes can be run form there but when they are minimised they dissapear from the screen.I tried booting form boot floppy but could not solve the problem.

Sombody please help me.I am really desperate.

Advertisement

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to get task manager, click file, new task, type explorer.exe and press enter

Purplehaze21

Purplehaze21

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am haveing this same problem. When the desktop is suppose to load it is just a blank blue screen with a mousepointer. I tried creating the new task explorer.exe, however this did not bring up the start menu or any of the desktop Icons. I have also tried restarting in safemode and restoring windows to an earlier backup version, but this did not resolve the issue either. Any ideas on what the cause could be?

Edited by Purplehaze21, 24 May 2006 - 06:27 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured