Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Paradox Runtime

• Please log in to reply

grc

grc

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Greetings -

this program (Paradox Runtime) is loaded onto a PC which I obtained from a business (law firm). It appears that it would be good for that type of business - but what use would I have for it (?) - it takes up 43 MB of RAM that I could otherwise use.

Thanks in advance for any response!

g ... :whistling: oh, additionally, there is something called "DAD 12" - it's some sort of Download (Application Director?) program - I don't think I have any use for it with my Firefox browser and add-ons (extentions) in addition to other downloaders (which also brings up the question - what is the purpose of FlashGot?) - any opinion on this would also be greatly appreciated - I have a very small (4 GB) hard-drive. I need to eliminate everything that would be wise/prudent to do so.

THX!!!

Edited by grc, 20 May 2006 - 10:26 AM.

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
You need to buy a bigger Hard Drive. That thing won't even hold my music collection and XP. Although you may like a small drive, a larger one will allow faster loading, and a lot more room for a business office :whistling:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
if you acquired this from a company and it is now your pc. It should be immediatly formated and reloaded. If you don't have a windows xp cd for this system then you will need to buy one. From your comments you don't work for this law firm.

btw the lawfirm could be in trouble for letting a pc go out the door without being formated. this has to do with confidential data and so forth.

grc

grc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

if you acquired this from a company and it is now your pc. It should be immediatly formated and reloaded. If you don't have a windows xp cd for this system then you will need to buy one. From your comments you don't work for this law firm.

btw the lawfirm could be in trouble for letting a pc go out the door without being formated. this has to do with confidential data and so forth.

Thanks but there is no confidential data on this HD. I suppose, technically, possibly, there is an MS infringement of some sort (it came loaded with 2000 Pro.), but I don't know, I am not the lawyer in this scenario, and knowing this lawyer (and his partner), I doubt very seriously that they have done anything wrong - the programs are here - but there is no data from their clientle- it was all wiped clean. You say I "need" to buy an XP CD - well, I am not sure of that. I was hoping (would like to wait) to purchase MS Vista when it arrives (unfortunately, I am on an extremely tight budget, for now at least) - but I don't know that this PC is up to the task - it was built in `99 - and although it was built for business (commercial) usage, it is still quite dated as technology goes. From the little I understand about "formatting", I believe it is easy to ruin the thing if one does not know what one is doing - and I would not know what I was doing - without some quality instruction.

Now, again, is anyone familiar with Paradox Runtime? Is it worth keeping for personal (or even business) usage?

Thanks again,

g ...

Edited by grc, 21 May 2006 - 07:43 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I used xp as an example.

as to the data on the system, they should have wiped the hard drive to protect themselves. Since you didn't purchase the software and since you are not really a business I can't think of any reason to keep it.