Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Symantec Sues Microsoft to Stop Vista

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Symantec has asked a U.S. court to order a halt to the development of Windows Vista, claiming that its rival is wrongfully incorporating Veritas storage technology into its next-generation OS.

Symantec sued Microsoft yesterday, seeking unspecified damages and also asking the court to remove Symantec's storage technology from a variety of Microsoft products, including Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and the upcoming Vista and "Longhorn" Windows Server products.

"We're asking them to remove the technology, because it belongs to us," a Symantec spokesman said.

The dispute centers around an August 1996 agreement between the two companies that granted Microsoft the right to use Veritas Software's volume management technology in its Windows NT product. Symantec purchased Veritas in a $10.2 billion acquisition that closed last year.

Symantec's Claims
Symantec claims that Microsoft misappropriated its technology and even tricked the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office into granting Microsoft patents based on Symantec intellectual property. The security and storage vendor also says that portions of Microsoft's next-generation Vista and "Longhorn" server OSes are based on this misappropriated software.

Microsoft believes it has every right to use the Veritas technology, the company said in a statement. "These claims are unfounded because Microsoft actually purchased intellectual property rights for all relevant technologies from Veritas in 2004," Microsoft said. "The [1996] contract ultimately gave Microsoft the option to buy out the rights to Veritas? code and intellectual property."

According to Symantec, however, this 1996 contract prevents Microsoft from developing products that compete with the Veritas software. Vista contains a number of competing features, relating to the way Vista manages data that is stored on a number of hard drives, Symantec said.

Microsoft's buy-out was an "ill-conceived effort to whitewash" this breach of the agreement, the court filings state.

The two companies have been working at resolving the dispute since 2004, when Symantec caught wind of the Vista features following an early release of the OS at Microsoft's annual Windows Hardware Engineering Conference.

During that period, Symantec learned that "Microsoft was so bold as to file fraudulent documents with the U.S. government, claiming stake to certain Veritas inventions," the court filings state. The Microsoft patents in question, which relate to storage management, are: No. 6,553,387, No. 6,629,202, No. 6,681,310, No. 6,684,231, and No. 6,735,603.

http://www.pcworld.c...,125775,00.asp#

Advertisements

Ammalgam

Ammalgam

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
I saw that and found it pretty hilarious..

I guess when you get as big as MSFT, drama is just bound to follow....

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Symnatec the only company hated more than MS.

Ammalgam

Ammalgam

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Yeah,
I think it's hilarious that this is happening right after the Veritas acquisition. I doubt that this will be an issue for Vista. Microsoft have so much money that they will be able to either

A) Hire lawyers to slow it all down
B) Hire lawyers to make it go away
C) Pay the company off...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dunno from reading that it does seem MS are actually at least in someway entitled to use the technology, just because you buy a company doesnt mean the obligations of the previous owners disappear it would in the world of common sense seem that if the 1996 contract says they can use it wether the company changed hands shouldnt affect that contract.

But MS has alot more money than symnatec and i hope they give them a bloody nose because any people that inflict norton on people need a good slap.

Ammalgam

Ammalgam

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

But MS has alot more money than symnatec and i hope they give them a bloody nose because any people that inflict norton on people need a good slap.

Good one... that's funny as heck...

I used to love Norton...lol

:whistling: