Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Home / 2k Pro networking

• Please log in to reply

rafraf

rafraf

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,

Don't know if this has been submitted or not so sorry for multiplying topics if that is the case !

I have 2 machines:
1 Desktop loaded with 2000 pro connecting to a wireless router via a cable
1 Laptop loaded with XP home connected to the same router via wireless

the Desktop is running ZoneAlarm and laptop the XP firewall

Both machines can access the router as they get their IP from the DHCP and both can connect to the internet.

The problem that I hab=ve is that the XP machine cannot connect to the 2k machine unless the 2k machine has tried to connect first. Let me explain :
* if I want to ping the 2k machine with the XP machine, I have to ping the XP machine fiirst with the 2k machine.
* if I want to VNC on the 2K machine I have to have the client listener listening on the XP machine and the 2K machine initiating the connection.
:tazz:

I have tried disabling the firewalls and it does not change anything ...

Can anyone help please ??? ;)

Raf

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Weird, sounds kinda like your "Computer Browser" service may be disabled on the XP machine. Have you done any manual configurations to your services? Click Start, Run, type services.msc and click "OK". Now scroll down the list until you see "Computer Browser". Now right click it and click "Properties". Make sure it is set to "Automatic" and click the "Start" button in that properties window. Now close the services window and try again. You may want to reboot first before trying it.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz: