Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Embedded Windows Media Will Not Play

• Please log in to reply

tsostrin

tsostrin

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I've been trying for days to figure this out . . . Some embedded video files will not play in internet explorer. The windows media player shows on the web page, but it says opening media and nothing ever happens. Then, when I try to leave the web page internet explorer freezes. This only seems to happen with .asf and .wmv files.

I re-installed windows media player and that did not work. I made sure that the player settings were set to play asf and wmv files. I don't think I need any codecs (but I'm not entirely sure) and the Iexplorer security settings seem normal.

Help me! I'm so frustrated.

Thanks

Advertisements

terabyte

terabyte

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
tsostrin,
I am assuming you have the windows media player 10 installed (and not version 11 which is still in beta)?
Maybe it is missing codecs, do you have DivX codecs installed? (which you can get from the official website: www.divx.com)

Edited by terabyte, 20 May 2006 - 08:03 PM.

tsostrin

tsostrin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have tried both WMP 10 and 11(beta). I also downloaded and installed the latest divx player and codecs, without success.

Could there be interference from other media players such as quicktime or real?

Or are there settings in IE security options that I am overlooking? I have no problem playing mpgs, whether embedded or not. But I cannot play embedded windows media (for example - I can't play this file - http://www.nbc.com/V...32_narnia.shtml ).

terabyte

terabyte

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi tsostrin,
have you tried using other browsers such as Netscape to play that file? It might work in another browser.

I wouldn't lower the IE settings because even the default settings are prone to viruses/malware/ActiveX scripts and objects.

I don't think there is "inteference" with the other programs, but what I would do just to make sure is to go to the settings of both quicktime and Realplayer and unclick all their file associations (even if technically they can't be associated with windows media video files).

Hope that helps :whistling:
P.S. I love that chronicles of narnia spoof...

tsostrin

tsostrin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK, I used netscape and it worked, but it played in Macromedia flash player 8.

When I use IE, the embedded player is Windows Media and, of course, it doesn't work.

hhmmmmm . . . what do you think is going on here?

Thanks for the advice.

terabyte

terabyte

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

hhmmmmm . . . what do you think is going on here?

Dunno...

but as long as it works in Netscape, you get to "rock on" to the chronicles of narnia...
mmmmmm magnolia muffins....
:whistling: