Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing an icon from system tray

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi,

I have Windows XP Pro. How do I remove icons from my system tray? I want the programs but not the icons in my tray. I don't want to just hide them, I want to remove them.

Denise

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Denisejm...

Depending on the application running, the names may vary a bit, but should be similar to:

Right click on the icom you want to remove and choose "Options" or "Preferences". Usually found under a "General" tab, there should be a checkbox or setting to "Show the icon in the system tray". Untick that box and "Apply" the change...the icon should disappear...

wannabe1

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi Wannabe1, Thanks for responding. :whistling:

I should have mentioned this in my first post that the icons aren't for programs, they're Microsoft icons. One is for Updates. I have it turned off (for a specific reason that I don't want to go into) and when I right click on it, the options are basically to go to the security center or to Microsoft Update Center. There's a similar Microsoft icon that I want to remove but I basically get the same options, but no option to turn it off. I went into msconfig > start up, but these items aren't located there.

Denise

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Special icons...special procedure... :whistling:

Right click on a blank area of the Task Bar and choose "Properties". Under the "Taskbar" tab, click the "Customize" button. Select your icon in the list, and choose the action from the drop down menu...choose "Always Hide" to remove the icon.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
That procedure doesn't remove the icon, it only hides it and when the pointer clicks the arrow to expand the tray in order to see the programs in the task tray. The icon is still there. That's always been the case with every computer I've been on.

I want to permanently remove these icons from my tray, not just hide them when collapsed.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
That procedure doesn't remove the icon, it only hides it and when the pointer clicks the arrow to expand the tray in order to see the programs in the task tray. The icon is still there. That's always been the case with every computer I've been on.

I want to permanently remove these icons from my tray, not just hide them when collapsed.

My2Cents

My2Cents

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
To get rid of microsoft icons ,you must install Lynix.lol

I can't imagin with all the security problems with windows that you wouldn't want to be notified of windows updates .
You should be able to remove it with the HijackThis tool .

Edited by My2Cents, 21 May 2006 - 04:20 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to START-->CONTROL PANEL. Double-click on SECURITY CENTER to open it. In the new window that appears, click on CHANGE THE WAY SECURITY CENTER ALERTS ME. In the new window that appears, uncheck all three boxes listed and click OK. Close out SECURITY CENTER window and CONTROL PANEL window. The icons by the clock in the systray should now be gone.

Fenor

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi Fenor and 2Cents, thanks for your suggestions :blink:

I'd already tried going into Control Panel > Security Center and when I chose to not receive notifications, another icon was placed in my bleeping system tray . . . a red shield!

My pc was made for me by someone who is no longer available to answer questions about it. Microsoft has changed it's method of updating and I have to jump through hoops and run around in circles at the Microsoft website, and I either have to keep doing that or I have to shell out about $150.00 to make it stop. I'm going to be buying a new pc in about a year so that all I want to do is patch anything that's wrong with it. Microsoft put a star icon in my tray and I personally think they had one bleeping nerve to do it and I want to eliminate it.

If I run HijackThis, how will I know what to do to eliminate the star?

Lynux isn't an option at this point, 2Cents, so keep the change. :whistling:

Denise

Edited by Denisejm, 21 May 2006 - 07:35 PM.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Go to control panel/administarative tool/services,scroll to securitycentr,double click choose disable.That should do it,cheers :whistling:

Edited by HaraldR, 21 May 2006 - 07:54 PM.

My2Cents

My2Cents

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
quote =If I run HijackThis, how will I know what to do to eliminate the star?

It would ,should have the microsoft name in it !

quote --Lynux isn't an option at this point, 2Cents, so keep the change.

Was just a joke!!

Edited by My2Cents, 22 May 2006 - 02:38 AM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
TwoCents, I knew it was just a joke, and I was joking too . . . it's why I put the little guy dancing next to my answer. Sometimes I forget that Brooklyn, NY, sense of humor is wry and not understood by all.

HaraldR

Go to control panel/administarative tool/services,scroll to securitycentr,double click choose disable.That should do it,cheers

I just did it but I haven't rebooted yet.

Denise