Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Security settings won't let me download files

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi again . . . another question

Windows XP Pro. . . I've never had a problem downloading programs from the internet until about a week ago. Since then, I receive a message that states that my security setting won't let me download the file. I haven't changed my security settings. In order to be able to download the program, I turned off my firewall (Sygate), and all pop-up stoppers/anti-virus/adware/malware programs and tried to download the file but I received the same message. I've also tried changing the severity of my settings in Internet Options from medium to low but my pc wouldn't let me do it. (Who's the boss here anyway?)

I'm talking about safe programs, such as RealPlayer, Macromedia Flash Player, etc.

What settings can I change so that I can download files that I want?

Denise

Advertisements

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
where are you downloading these files from?

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
The url for Macromedia Flash Player is http://www.fisher-pr...ds/getflash.asp

and the url for RealPlayer is http://www.real.com/...de=false&bw=176

There are other things that I wanted to download over the past week, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. I was also looking into purchasing a DVD burner so I was opening a lot of pages, but some weren't able to open.