Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP registry problem

• Please log in to reply

KenHK

KenHK

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys,

Need help to a crazy problem, I'm using XP Professional and created an adminstrator account for myself and a guest account for the others, one day I played around with the registry in trying to speed up the loading, etc and I was stupid in not to do any backup in thinking it's easy stuff. I modified some parts that appears to have long zero in them and change them to zero (=0s delay). After that I can't log into my account and it keep re-booting itself after login, I guess I'd changed some setting and now I can only use the guest account.

Anyone has any idea that I can modify my adminstrator account registry from my guest account ? I'm stuck.

Advertisements

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
if you dont have anything important on the hardrive u may aswell format the computer, and reistall XP

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi KenHK...

Have you tried running System Restore to restore to a date before you "tweaked" the registry?

wannabe1

woohoofulness

woohoofulness

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
thats a good sugestion, and if none of that works...before you reformat your harddrive try just booting from the windows CD and go into repair/recovery mode....it could possibly help

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Try this. On the login screen pre Ctrl+Alt+Delete twice. For username enter Administrator , no password and press enter. You will be logged as an administrator. delete the account you created, and the make another one.

KenHK

KenHK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks guys...out of town for a week...here's the status :

1. definitely a last resort to reformat the hard drive
2. tried the restore but it didn't work, apparently the personal setting remains unaffected.
3. tried the adminstrator suggestion, window keeps asking for the password and can't get pass it.

i still believe there's a way other than re-format, let's hope someone come up w/ a solution...