Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new 300GB seagate hard drive doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

stevefromga2000

stevefromga2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i have formatted it before, and when i format it with windows, it does take 3 hours. that is when it shows up when i go to my computer, and then double click on the drive, and windows tells me that it is not formatted. i have also downloaded a disc wizard program from seagate.com that gives me the option to format the new drive. that does not take that long. both ways have worked in the past, but when i did the option through the windows and then restarted my computer, it was like it completley lost the information. the drive said all over again that it was not formatted and i needed to format it. am i supposed to do something after that?

Advertisements

stevefromga2000

stevefromga2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
alright everybody, i finally ran some other maintanance options through the program from seagate, and had the drive do a self test with the S.M.A.R.T. technology stuff, and here is what it said......"Self test routine completed with a S.M.A.R.T. alert error. Any drives reporting a S.M.A.R.T. failure should be considered likely to fail at any time. You should back up your data on any such drive as soon as possible. Contact your computer or hard drive vendor to obtain return information." So, i'm thinking that i just got screwed and purchased a faulty hard drive or something and that is why i have been having all these problems. thanks for all the help though. i'll let everybody know if i find anything else.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
you shouldn't have problems returning HD from where you purchased it.but it's really bugs you to spend so much time,my sympathies

Edited by HaraldR, 03 June 2006 - 12:53 AM.