Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

virus alert

• Please log in to reply

coll772

coll772

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all :blink:

I have stupidly opened an email without doing a check on it first and this resulted in my
home page being changed and a flashing box in my system tray saying i have a virus click
here to get software to remove etc . I believe this to be adware to be honest and have not
clicked on it .
I have done a virus scan with symantic which came up ok , ran adaware which is clear but
when i run search and destroy it cant delete 2 entries "which are the ones causing the problems"
i think !!
I am always so carefull ,,have and external firewall and always keep software firewalls up and
running to :help:
This is the first time something like this has happened in 8 years of using the net so am very
annoyed with myself :whistling:

Anyway i have attached the hijackthis log and would be eternaly gratefull if someone could please
check it out for me to see where the problem lies .

Regards ..coll

Edit -- Please do not post hijackthis logs in forums other than the malware forum

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

woohoofulness

woohoofulness

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
when it tells you which two files it cant delete.....remember them. Hit CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, which opens task manager and then go to the processes tab....try to find those two file names and right click on them and hit "end process tree". Try deleting them after that. Sometimes when that doesnt work and I'm lazy i just hex edit the file and change everything to a 0, you'll definately be able to delete it after that, well after it crashes the process. :-)