Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop will only boot up in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

VDoubleUVR6

VDoubleUVR6

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK I rebuilt an IBM A21m that was given to me a few weeks ago with windows xp and ran the sp2 upgrade along with all the security patches. I went ahead and installed all the drivers, norton IS 2005 along with applications that I needed on the laptop.

Now I've used the laptop OK for about two weeks and last night I wanted to boot it up to check my email on the web and it wouldn't. It gets stuck on the Windows XP screen with the blue status bar that scrolls when booting up. Now I can get into Safe Mode but thats it. I tried Safe mode with networking and it hangs up.

Now I booted up with the XP cd into recovery mode and ran chkdsk and it said everything was ok. I even tried pulling the battery out and only booting up with the power with no luck. I also removed the 2 - 256mb memory modules and installed another 256mb that I had and ended up with no luck. I also tried uniinstalling the network drivers in safe mode and it wouldn't let be cause it said the laptop needed them to boot up so I disabled the network drivers but still a no go. I can't think of anything else to try.

IBM A21m P3
512mb
20 GB HD
XP SP2
Norton IS 2005

Anyone have any other ideas?

Advertisements

VDoubleUVR6

VDoubleUVR6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Anyone?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
install the newest network card drivers...make a difference?

if not, in safe mode, start > run

msconfigure

check SELECTIVE STARTUP on the GENERAL tab, and uncheck the four items below it

Make a difference?

(in the future DO NOT REPLY TO YOUR OWN THREADS...there are fewer people around on Sundays, as you might imagine. We spend monday mornings looking for 0 reply threads. Replying to your own thread will push you to the back of the line)

VDoubleUVR6

VDoubleUVR6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Oh sorry. I'm used to "bumping" posts on other forums when they get deep in the page count.

Thanks for the reply...I'll give it a try later when I get home from work and see if any of those suggestions helps.

Edited by VDoubleUVR6, 22 May 2006 - 08:39 AM.

VDoubleUVR6

VDoubleUVR6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok well I made some progress on the laptop this evening. While I was at work I remembered that when they gave me the laptop they said the system board was dead. Then I started thinking hmmm maybe I should download the diagnostic software off of IBM's well now Lenovo.

So I did just that at work and created the 3 diskette's it needed. After work I went home and ran the diags which in turn pointed me to the network/modem card. Now when the diags were running I was paying attention to it and I noticed that it was trying to test the modem for almost 10 minutes...now I thought to myself that is taking to long ALSO the machine locked up...I couldn't ctrl/alt/del. So I powered it down and flipped the laptop over and open up the bottom cover and pulled out network/modem daughter card. Well that did it.

Now I'm just reinstalling all the windows patches again (obviously with the wireless card) because when I ran the repair part of the XP recovery it removed everything back to SP1.

So I want to thank you again for replying back to my questions.

Edited by VDoubleUVR6, 22 May 2006 - 08:31 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
very clever diagnostics....good job :whistling: