Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

are private messages really private?

• Please log in to reply

davit

davit

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Using forums, are private messages really private, or can they be read by anyone with administartive access.
I am not a webmaster but i couldnt find anywhere else to ask this here and believe you guys could help. I have wondered about this for a while but am asking it in refernece to a websitetollbox forum. Other places i have communicated via pm are not so much concern as i trust the professionalism taken by the owners.
Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
pm's can be read by anyone pretty easily. i just don't know and don't care how or why

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
A ethical forum administrator will not read PM's unless there is a concern or valid reason to do so.

Any forum program using a database has the ability to see every single thing that goes on there.

Again, a ethical forum admin won't read them unless there is a very good reason to do so.

davit

davit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks thenotch, that's kind of how i felt. Reading the pm wouldn't be a problem if there was a reason to do so, aslong as the information was not taken/stolen for their own advantage. I suppose its then just about making a judgement as to whether this could happen. The forum in question has asked me to become a moderator and i am considering this, but dont know the management very well. I do not for one minute believe the admins will trespass delibrately or intentionally, i just wondered about this part of the forum.

Thanks for your help guys

Mycah

Mycah

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
In normal administrative options, No. All the major forums do not let you do that through a cp. BUT! There ARE mods that let you do that.

tschrock

tschrock

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
A good rule of thumb is to never say or suggest anything in a PM that you would not post in the open forum.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
that's what aim is for