Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how do i know which graphic card i have !

• Please log in to reply

zakowako

zakowako

• Pip
  • 2 posts
im not very good with coms and im just a kid but i need someone to explain very easily in lamos terms the simplest explination on how to find out which graphics card i have and wat to do to upgrade it .....
the reason i need to know is beacuse all my games when i load them ... i.e. rome total war ... im playing and on the map it will have all thses bloges of black and lines of weird colours e.t.c. which is probley a graphic card problem. this happens too many of my games. so pzl someone help me ..... plz reply to either this emial ([email protected]) or this meassge.
thank you.

Advertisements

Hairybuffalokiller

Hairybuffalokiller

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey, what you need to do is locate the "My Computer" icon. This is placed in different places depending on what operating system you are running. If you run Windows XP and are using the modern start menu, it is in this place. If you are using the old start menu or an older OS (e.g. Windows 95, 98, 2000) then it is on the desktop.

Right click on this icon and select properties on the drop down list.

Go to the "Hardware" tab on the new window and click on "Device Manager"

Open up the drop down box titled "Display Adapters" and you should have the details of your graphics card.

One word of advice, if you're thinking of upgrading your card and you dont know much about computers, get someone who knows about computers to upgrade it for you. Either a relative or preferably a computer repair shop such as PC World etc. They charge a small price but it's worth it for the correct installation of a device if you dont know much about these things.

Hope this helps :tazz:

zakowako

zakowako

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thx for the help man but when i lick properties it just bringus up a box saying either at the top general or shortcut and when i clcik advance it just has a couple of tik boxes and not much else ..... also i didnt really wnat to get a actaul thing too put in my com. i just wnated to find out wether ii could upgrade soemthing to make my games work ... also if ts any dif im on xp

Hairybuffalokiller

Hairybuffalokiller

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok, it sounds like you're clicking on a shortcut to "My Computer". To get the correct one, go into my documents or w/e and click the UP (its an icon with an open folder with a green arrow coming out of the folder, pointing upwards) icon until it greys out becuase you are as far as you can go. There should be an icon there titled "My Computer". Right click this and then go to properties and follow instructions from previous post. And you can still find out what gfx card u have. You dont have to update it. It shows details of it in the Device Manager. :tazz:

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
Yeh needs to be an actual my computer not shortcut but another way which does usually work is to right click on the desktop then properties then go to the settings tab and on that page there is a box which says display above and mine is a drop down box, in that drop down box it will tell u what card u have in there, but if u are looking for further imfomation then just the basics then u would need to do as "Hairybuffalokiller" said but if u want very basic imfo just the name really and not version etc then u can do it how i said hope this helps.

Hairybuffalokiller

Hairybuffalokiller

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I think that usually only works with Radeon cards. If he has an Nvidia I dont think it will. At least it doesn't work on my other computer which has an Nvidia. But yeh that works with Radeons for sure. :tazz:

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
yes my appolagies that is correct doesnt seem to work on my other computer with the geforce 6600 ah well just an idea ill make a wmi script for him if the worste comes to the worste but i dont wanna complicate things if possible.

THE_NOOB_WHO_COULD

THE_NOOB_WHO_COULD

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey Fellas I have the same problem I am using a relatively new ACER desktop. I have opened up to check what graphics card i have and it doesnt say. I went and right clicked my desktop and all that and it came up was this.

SiS 661FX_760_741_M661FX_M760_M741

I right clicked that and pressed update drive but it came up saying i have the latest one.

What my problem is I am playing games, namely Warcraft 3, and my coptuer would Freeze at random spots. I am using XP. What is wierd is that this has happened to another computer using XP. but if I play Warcraft on Windows 2000 on my old comptuer it works fine but lags that is why i upgraded. Why doesnt it work on XP?

If anyone has any ideas that would be cool. I have probably tried everything except for the right thing.

I just want to play my game LOL

newghost

newghost

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
hi there is the best way to know allllll you need

click on start then on run

write dxdiag to know you agp card type click on disply

that's all and good lack