Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Disk Cleanup

• Please log in to reply

Pluto56

Pluto56

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
While doing my weekend "computer cleanup", I noticed something that I'd seen before but decided this time to ask about here.

In the cleanup process, I run disk cleanup first. Accessories/System Tools/Disk Cleanup. I let it delete all things found there, but there is always one item that won't leave. It's only 32 kb but it bugs me. It is Web Client/Publisher Temporary Files. I'm wondering just what that is and why it won't delete. It's description when clicked on is: The Web Client/Publisher service maintains a cache of accessed files on this disk. These files are kept locally for performance reasons only, and can be deleted safely."

So if it can be deleted safely, why won't it delete???

Also for your review, this is my weekend computer cleanup process. Any opinions? Do I need to change the order it is done in, or anything else I can do in your opinion to really give it a more thorough cleaning?
I also have ZoneAlarm firewall (free version) in place on my system.

1. Disk Cleanup.
2. Spybot S&D
3. Ewido anti malware scan. (it always picks up many things S&D did not.)
4. Ccleaner
5. HijackThis scan. (not that I get anything out of that, but I do like to look it over and try to pick things out.)

Then I defrag once in a great while.

Thanks in advance for any input. The web client thing really bugs me for some reason.

Advertisements

Pluto56

Pluto56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
anyone??

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check whether you need the service here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;291252

If not

Click start then Run, type services.msc then press enter, scroll down to and double click WebClient, set the start up type to disabled, click apply, stop the service, close services when the service has stopped

Pluto56

Pluto56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Thanks Keith for responding.
From your link, I didn't get much info. But what is it? Did I get it from my webcam program? Or from another forum where I've posted pics before? If it's a part of the webcam program, should I delete it?
Anyway, may sound like dumb questions, but like I said, it does bug me that disk cleanup won't clear it out.
Thanks again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It's part of windows but you can disable it