Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP won't load

• Please log in to reply

dseltz

dseltz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
turned on computer this morning and windows won't load-- just keeps recycling back to the windows did not start successfully screen. I have tried all options using F8, and nothing works to start windows. I get a list of "multi (0)disk(0) rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT\system32\drivers" and then it goes back to the windows did not load successfully screen. I have not made any hardware or software changes lately, everything was working fine. I have my XP operatiing system CD. When I try it and select "setup windows Xp" accept licensing agreement, I do not see Windows XP Home listed, it only lists C: Partition/ [Unknown] 38170MB. I get the following options "Set up Windows XP on the selected item--press enter", "Create partition in unpartioned space, press C", "To delete partition, press D"

Is there anything I can try so I don't lose all my files? Any idea what could cause this? Thanks for any help....

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is different from just selecting safe mode

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

If no go

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

psychonyx

psychonyx

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
That’s what I like about this site, valuable information for free, thanks guys, I mean Geeks.

dseltz

dseltz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried to start with the command prompt, but it goes back to the black screen before I can type anything in. When I try to do a repair of windows XP operating system, I do not have an option to repair, and it doesn't look like there is a version of XP installed. I have followed the instructions on the tutorial on this site (very complete and easy to understand!), but once I get past the licensing agreement, I can't see the option to repair. The only thing listed is
"C:Partition1[Unknown]38170MB". Is there a possibility that this is a hardware problem vs. a software problem? What can I check to figure it out?

the only other thing that has been wrong is that I have been experiencing audio problems with the system. Should I try to remove the soundcard and see if that does anything?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it give you free space after the 38170 figure

dseltz

dseltz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, my choices are to set up windowsXP on the selected item, create a partition in the unpartitioned space, or delete the selected partition. Then this is listed "

38171 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

C: Partition1 [Unknown] 38170MB (38170MB Free)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you try Recovery Console and run the bootcfg, fixboot, and fixmbr to see if it will boot to or at least detect the Windows installation.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I really wish the Recovery Console was installed by default.
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307654

Johanna