Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'CPU' Speaker

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Quick question (and easy I hope).

Suddenly (or at least I've just noticed it) my 'CPU' speaker can be heard even though I have external speakers 'plugged in' the back and wireless earphones (their controller) plugged into the jack in the front of the machine.
PC hasn't been moved in a year ... it's under desk.

The ext speakers work correctly (and the earphones) but I havn't heard the internal speaker before.

Is this normal (not my hearing ... the int speaker beeps)?

I've been contemplating 'packing' the internal speaker with cotton to reduce the sound (or disconnecting the speake) ... my PC is in our family room and I don't want to disturb others with all the beeping.

PC is a DELL 4300 1.6G Dimension (circa 2001) with 256M (soon to be 512M ... have birthday coming up), an int HD of 20G and a 2nd HD of 120G. Also 2 CD's.

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
There will be no harm done unhooking the PC speaker. As far as I know, its only purpose is to beep when restarting from being powered down. Some motherboards play a series of short and long beeps when a bad piece of hardware is detected when booting. Otherwise its just an artifact left over from the old days.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Thank you - but if there's a hardware problem in the future, won't completely disabling the int spkr leave me wondering what's going on?

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
It can help you detect proablems with them system. I don't recomend unhooking the speaker. Your motherboard manufactuer proably has a list descibing what each beep the computer makes. That is how you find out what beep means what.

And they still have yet to make a universal beep :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its not an aritfact from the past its a fairly useful daignostic tool, if nothing goes wrong and the system is working you can safely unplug it, it should beep when the computer turns on then stop if it beeps at another time you may just have a problem and you should look up the beep code list.

All properly constructed desktop systems should have an internal speaker or a led set(MSI does this instead) to help diagnose and warn of hardware failures.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Thank you all

Don't know how to 'officially' mark this as resolved, but it is !!

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
RESOLVED