Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Good morning

• Please log in to reply

Sprinkles

Sprinkles

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Good Morning GeeksTo Go,

I am having technical difficulties installing my brand-new HP DVD Writer model number 840e on my labtop. Some background info.
  • My labtop has no CD/DVD internal drive. It has been completely removed from my computer.
  • The computer recognizes that there is a new hardware device, but it does not recognize the model type nor the "D" drive.
The new CD/DVD drive is an external drive and I was hoping that is would be used as a substitute from my missing internal CD/DVD drive. How can I get my computer to "formally recognize" it.

Sincerely,
Sprinkles

Note: I have an installation CD, but how can I install it if my CD/DVD drive is not being recognized by the computer?

Edited by Sprinkles, 21 May 2006 - 02:10 PM.

Advertisements

Sprinkles

Sprinkles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I think I found something that could bring you closer to an answer

http://h10025.www1.h...ocname=lpg40571

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
I find it incomprehensible that HP does not support an external optical drive or any external USB device, for that matter. USB ports are supposed to be used for any kind of USB device.

A little research showed that this model seems to be sold only in Europe (UK). Are you sure that it is meant to be powered with US 115/120 volts AC power ? If there is a power setting switch on the case then make sure it is set to 115/120 and not 230/240.

Do you have another computer that you can try this drive on ?

Make sure the drive is powered on before its USB cable is plugged in.

In the Control Panel double-click the item "Add Hardware". Click the button "Next". XP will do a hardware scan for new hardware devices.

I don't really expect Add Hardware to find the drive. If it doesn't find it try plugging it into another USB port if there is one. Alternate between USB ports a few times. Allow the system about 5 seconds or so to find the device before you pull out the USB cable between tries.

Edited by WinCrazy, 21 May 2006 - 05:07 PM.

Sprinkles

Sprinkles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Just responding to your questions

I find it incomprehensible that HP does not support an external optical drive or any external USB device, for that matter. USB ports are supposed to be used for any kind of USB device.

I too find it incomprehensible that HP does not support an external optical drive or any external USB device.

A little research showed that this model seems to be sold only in Europe (UK). Are you sure that it is meant to be powered with US 115/120 volts AC power ? If there is a power setting switch on the case then make sure it is set to 115/120 and not 230/240.

I don't think it is an issue dealing with voltage - the power light comes on bright and green while plugged into the socket. There is no power setting switch on the device.

Do you have another computer that you can try this drive on ?

Yes, I tried it on another computer - except it was a desktop as oppose to a labtop. As soon as it was plugged into the USB port on the tower, the computer recognized it. It could also play movies. There were no problems with the desktop

Make sure the drive is powered on before its USB cable is plugged in.

done

In the Control Panel double-click the item "Add Hardware". Click the button "Next". XP will do a hardware scan for new hardware devices.

I did that. The add hardware window also searched the internet for any drivers that I could download. It could not find any. I even went to the HP website to look for drivers.

I don't really expect Add Hardware to find the drive. If it doesn't find it try plugging it into another USB port if there is one. Alternate between USB ports a few times. Allow the system about 5 seconds or so to find the device before you pull out the USB cable between tries.

[b]

I did all of that.

By the way, thank you for all of your support.

Sinceramente,
Sprinkles