Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Crackling sound when computer is thinking

• Please log in to reply

greggumz

greggumz

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello recently my computer started cracking and skipping noise when it is loading or thinking. This has never happend before, I updated my sound card drivers and that did not make a difference. I even bought a new sound card and that didn't make a difference. It usually happens when I am playing World of Warcraft, listening to itunes, and I have teamspeak (an intercom program) opened. It gets really bad when I am playing in a place where my video card is working hard and so is my computer. Alt tabbing and coming back to the game also makes the crackling and skipping bad. Anyone know what this could be caused by? It's never done this.

2 gigs of ddr2ram
7800 gs oc AGP nvidia
120 gb hardrive
amd 64 3400+

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
So this crackling is coming from your speakers right? Not the actual computer?

This seems like it could be a number of problems including:
-Degraded speaker line (in which case you need a new set of speakers)
+For this just find an old pair of speakers and see if it persists

-Dying sound card in which case you may need to buy a new one

greggumz

greggumz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Its not the speaker line, it only happens after playing WoW for a while. Its like the more i play wow the more my computer starts to perform worse. All my computers have done this, they perform crappier the longer they are on with out a restart. The only thing is now when my computer is performing crappy my sound is skipping. I got the newest drivers for my New soundcard and that didn't fix it.

I also read that it could be a problem with the IRQs, checked that and its on its own IRQ totally seperate from the the video card.

Please guys help me, I am posting a picture of what is listend under audio and video in my device manager.

Attached Thumbnails

• audio.jpg

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Do you turn off your computer at night? Or do you leave it running?

If you leave the thing on constantly, it's a near fact that something in your case is or is close to overheating. You can have all the latest drivers but computers do get hot and if they never have a chance to cool, something will fry.

Also, does the skipping occur in the beginning? Try booting your computer, playing a song or something and seeing if it happens, or if it is only after a while.

greggumz

greggumz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I do turn my computer off at night. The skipping does not occur untill I have run world of warcraft or another program that demands a lot from my computers memory. I think this is a memory problem, not a heat problem. I might try to get a soundwave of what it sounds like.

The worst part about this problem is that I built this computer a year ago, and not untill a week ago did this problem start out of no where. Now i've bought a new soundcard, updated drivers, and still no fix. Creative Labs can't help me, niehter can World of WArcraft. I need people who know a lot about computers and who can tell me why my sound would skip and crackle when my computer is being worked harder. Also tell my why just recently this problem started if I never had a problem with it before.

Dragons119

Dragons119

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Could it be a WoW settings problem?
If it only started affter uppdating if you rolled back the drivers could that fix his prblem?

greggumz

greggumz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
it didn't start after updating drivers. I moved from one town to another, and after a week of being home my computer started skipping music and crackling when it is thinking really hard. I've seen many other people have this exact same problem, but no solution has worked for me. Seems like a common problem.

I added two short mp3's one is of my character laughing in world of warcraft and the other is red hot chilli peppers, both are extremly distored. The weird thing is after liek 5 minutes the distortion goes away a little, then it will come back. Does this anything to do with memory? Or possibly garbage collection?

Attached Files

Edited by greggumz, 22 May 2006 - 07:22 PM.