Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC restarts by itself minutes or hours after shutdown

• Please log in to reply

geekgirlie

geekgirlie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently connected a PC to a wireless router. The PC is connected by cable with a second PC connected wirelessly. The hardwired PC is now restarting by itself after being shut down. Sometimes it's a few minutes after shut down... sometimes it's hours after shutdown. Internet access is fine. The wireless connected PC is also working fine.

It's my Mother's PC and she's CONVINCED it's a virus. But I'm pretty sure it's not. Any help would be sooooooooooooooooooooooo appreciated!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key (possibly F2) until it enters set up, look for Wake on LAN and disable that if set. If you change anything, press F10, press enter, type Y then press enter