Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sonic Update Manager Popup

• Please log in to reply

bmg83

bmg83

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Every time I start up my laptop, which uses XP, something called Sonic Update Manager pop ups and attempts to install something. It doesn't work and tells me "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-Rom or other removable disk that is unavailable. Instert the 'Sonic Update Manager' disk and click ok" It allows me to brose or use source: 1.

I have no idea what sonic is. I think its a program that burns cds? If that is the case Dell installed it and they didn't even give me the windows XP disc let alone this one. Could this be malware? Any insight would be helpful. Thank you.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If there is a recovery partition (local disc D) then that's where you need to direct it at the browse option

Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, look through the list for the update manager, remove the tick, click apply, reboot

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try:

Easycleaner www.personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm which made it easy to identify all Sonic components and remove them.

From related post at:

Sonic Cleanup Manager

Keith was there... :whistling:

This is what Dell says:

Dell Support

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 22 May 2006 - 12:03 AM.