Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Question on Motherboards

• Please log in to reply

jturnerdeere

jturnerdeere

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My Dell Optiplex GX280 went down and after talking with tech support, they are going to install a new motherboard & heatsink/fan. My question is in regards to the motherboard. Once they replace that motherboard, will I lose everything (programs, files, etc) on my computer??? I wasn't for sure as I'm a newbie on technical stuff on the inside of the computer.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if they replace the board with the exact same model as the one that's currently in there (which is what they should be doing as that's dells standard practice) then all should be fine....if they put in a different motherboard...then there is a likelyhood that windows will not boot...that doesn't mean that you've lost everything...it just means it may be difficult to get everything working perfectly...if they are sending a tech out to do this hardware replacement...make sure to have the tech verify that the motherboard is the exact same model as the original...if it's not the same model....then there's a question....do you have an actual xp cd? or just a dell recovery cd?

jturnerdeere

jturnerdeere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for your quick response. I'll be sure to see that they do the exact. I have both disks, one for XP and one for Dell startup. I will post up tommorrow on the status of my computer when I get everything running again. I've been without a computer for quite a few days (even being a government computer doesn't speed up the process with Dell!)

Thanks!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if you had gotten the right level of support with dell then they would be on site within 4 hours (i've got the top tier gold support here at work...and for critical failures there's a dell technician at my door without 2 hours but the time depends on location)..

IF they come with a different model motherboard...then as soon as he installs the board you will need to do an xp repair installationi (directions below) BEFORE THE FIRST BOOT....if you wait till after the first boot to do the repair...then it's not gonna work (won't lose your info...it just won't help the boot issues that will come from having the different hardware profile)...if he comes with the correct mother board (the same model as before)...then you don't have to do this..

Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by presssing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to Perform A Re-Install Of XP
Repair XP

jturnerdeere

jturnerdeere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the reply. We have Gold Support here as that is only what they will allow us to have (being government and all). I will check when the guy comes to see what motherboard he places in it and report back to you all when I get back up and running on that computer.

Thanks again,
Jessica

jturnerdeere

jturnerdeere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Finally got the new stuff installed into the computer and I didn't lose anything. :whistling: Thank goodness!!

However, I do have a small issue with Dell. Their tech support was unprofessional in my mind. The first tech came in and decides to play with stuff on my desk (Staples "easy button", etc) without asking. He was also very late from the appointment he made with us. The second tech called at 9AM (instead of 10-12 like their procedures state.) I had to call back being that I wasn't in the office without any return of phone calls. The message on the machine never specify what time they were coming, just saying that they would need us to call back to schedule an appointment. Well all of a sudden at lunchtime when I'm getting ready to head out they show up, no calls ahead or anything. Finally got everything back in order and they left giving me a bunch of techno lingo of what to do if it happens again that I still am clueless about. I did learn that Dell contracts out with different companies to do their support for them. Thus why you don't have someone directly from Dell that comes and helps you.

Sorry for the rant above, but I just want to warn those that use Dell Support. In happier news, I got my computer fixed and once again, Geeks To Go has been a HUGE help with my computer needs. I'll refer you guys to even more folks. :blink: Thanks guys!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
hehe....i've never had a dell experience that bad...sorry that it happened to you....i've always had good techs show up when i need them here (though i usually do most of the dell tech support stuff either over the phone...or i have them ship me the part so i can install it myself)..