Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

audio on the web vs. audio on the desktop

• Please log in to reply

hawkeye4life

hawkeye4life

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have audio when using Windows media player and iTunes, but no sound when I view a video on the web. Any ideas?

Advertisements

My2Cents

My2Cents

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
missing browser pulgins i would assume ,what browser and what type of video ,link the site you are whatching in here ,just copy the url so i can have a look thanks

hawkeye4life

hawkeye4life

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
www.espn.com

As long as you have macromedia flash player installed, the espn inMotion video screen should appear along the righthand side of the page giving top sports stories and headlines for the day. Video works fine, but audio is not there.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Hawkeye, with what browser are you trying to watch the video?

With mozilla forefox it works fine for me.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

I have audio when using Windows media player and iTunes, but no sound when I view a video on the web. Any ideas?

Both suggestions already given are good. Which browser are you using when you view the page containing the video link? I would suggest updating to Windows Media Player 11 if this is your default player.

If you use Firefox as your browser, you will have to install the proper plugins. Normally you will be notified if you need a plugin to properly play a lot of the video files in a web page.

Aside from updating the codecs for WMP (may not be needed in Ver 11) you might want to see if you have the latest drivers installed for your sound card.

Possibly more info on what you are trying to view/hear might be a good idea to better help you.

Ron

My2Cents

My2Cents

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

www.espn.com

As long as you have macromedia flash player installed, the espn inMotion video screen should appear along the righthand side of the page giving top sports stories and headlines for the day. Video works fine, but audio is not there.

Hi ,workes for me in both firefox and IE6,with windows media 10
You still haven't answered ? what browser you are using .thanks

Edited by My2Cents, 22 May 2006 - 01:30 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Ok. Finally tracked down a video link on the espn site that worked in IE, but not Firefox for me. To get it to play in FF required turning on scripting temporarily as I have total control over every web page. I must either totally grant ot temporarily grant permission for scripting.

Sooooo. Both of my browsers now work fine showing videos with sound.

Waiting feedback from hawkeye4life.

Ron

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sorry for double post. My Internet service is being worked on (Katrina damage) and I never know if I clicked properly or not. :whistling:

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 22 May 2006 - 01:58 PM.

hawkeye4life

hawkeye4life

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry for the lack of response, I've been at work all day long. I am using Internet Explorer, although I'm not sure how updated my version is. Here is an example of a website where I can get video and audio fine: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8004316/

It is only certain sites (like espn.com) that cannot get the audio with the video.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Not worried about the version of IE if you are using Win XP. Would like to know version of WMP and whether you have updated codecs or have updated WMP to version 11 that is just out????

I didn't check the file types between the two links you gave since you said WMP pops up with the video on both links, but not sound on one. I would think that the WMP settings should work for all. Is there some reason you do not want an updated version of WMP?

Does Device Manager show any problems?

Ron

hawkeye4life

hawkeye4life

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK, clicked on "check for player updates" for WMP and it says I am running the most current version. Here's another example of a site where I get video, but no audio:

http://www.collegehumor.com/movies

And here's one where I get both video and audio:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/video/player

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Are there any other mediaplayers installed on your system besides WMP? Maybe anaother mediaplayer is taking over some tasks of WMP. Look around in preferences/options of WMP and other players and set WMP to main player.