Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless Network Connection speed drops to 1.0 Mbps

• Please log in to reply

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, I have a Netgear WG111v2 USB Wireless Network Adapter, but when I connect to my router (in the next room ~5m away), it connects at 54 mbps at first, but this steadily decreases to 48, 36, 24, 11, 5.5, 2 and then 1.0 mbps and stays there until I reconnect, which restarts the cycle.

Signal strength is "excellent". I have tried updating the drivers, rolling back to earlier drivers, using the Netgear configuration utility and the Windows utility (someone said there could be a conflict between the two), and reinstalling the software. I use my WLAN to transfer files to and from different computers so I could really do with the full 54 mbps speed. Any ideas?

Thanks very much

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you disable either the netgear or zero wireless configuration?

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
I tried it both ways round, yes, but I was just about to post saying that I had fixed it anyway. You need to go to Device Manager, into Properties for the adapter, Advanced, and set Rate Adaptive to DISABLE. Not sure why it was enabled by default, and it doesn't work anyway because it always dropped straight to 1.0mbps regardless of what I was doing.
Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
thanks for the tip...not all adapters allow for adaptive rate, but that is nice to know

:whistling:

syzygy111

syzygy111

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem and fixed it by updating the wireless adapter driver. The difference in age was two months and the latest was over two years old.

Hope this helps.