Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Install problem-hangs

• Please log in to reply

The Rabid One

The Rabid One

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi, Here is my problem.
Have new MLB, Power supply, memory and AMD 64 bit processor. All hardware is compatable. The MLB is a MSI K8 Socket 939. The only thing on the system that isn't onboard the MLB is the wireless net interface card (which is also new).
When installing XP (no other pre-exsisting OS) I have partitioned the HD (which is new) and started installation the system will hang. It has hung up at different stages of installing or rebooting. I have finally got XP on the system and started to reboot after the install. It hangs at the splash screen for Windows XP (where the bottom bar moves then just freezes). The system simply stops. I have re-installed along with re-partitioning and formatting several times. The hardware is seen in BIOS. I can't seem to get any further. Microsoft's support has not been able to resolve the problem they just say, "Thats strange".

Does anyone have any suggestions? :whistling:

Edited by The Rabid One, 22 May 2006 - 02:27 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi The Rabid One...

Have you tried to format and install without the network card installed. It would also be a good idea to use a PS2 mouse and keyboard during installation. In most cases, it's hardware that hangs an installation of the OS.

wannabe1

The Rabid One

The Rabid One

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi wannbe1,

Thanks for the info. I did manage to find the problem, after dum-dum here pulled the CD and DVD. I found the jumpers had been set on both devices as slave drives off the same cable (DOH! :blink:). Guess it was because I was working on the system at 2AM instead of sleeping. Thanks on the advice on the PS2 mouse and keyboard. I'll keep that in mind for the future also.

BTW I like your handle!

Well have a good one and see you around the binary didget! :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thanks for letting us know...Glad you got it sorted out! :whistling:

wannabe1